Any product from China worth buying?

Before WWII my father served in the navy and was stationed on a ship that was in China. Someone cracked a sextant and my father brought it to a shop and wanted a new one. They made a great new one, including the crack. After the function was explained to them the made a second one. This one did not have a crack and performed better than the original.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

In article , snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote in part:

CFLs tend to be better if these guidelines are followed:

  • If they are of "Big 3" brands: GE, Philips and Sylvania.
  • If they have the "Energy Star" logo.
  • Ones with ballasts included inside (all common screw base ones) are supposed to be UL listed. Dollar store CFLs are often not. I have also seen dollar store junk (specifically an extension cord) with fake UL listing. One dollar store model has been recalled for being known to have its ballast housing made with non-fire-retardant plastic. Good ones with valid UL listing are made with fire retardant plastic.
  • CFLs tend to fail to be more economical when used where they are only on for a short period of time, such as in motion sensor lights, refrigerators, and restrooms used mainly for short trips.
  • It is common for integral-ballast CFLs to overheat in recessed ceiling fixtures. CFLs used in recessed ceiling fixtures should be any of these:

a) Specifically rated for recessed ceiling fixtures, such as Philips non-dimmable SLS of wattage up to 23 watts

b) A flodlight style type, obviously made to be likely to be used in such fixtures, and preferably of lower wattage (under 20 watts)

c) Lower wattages such as 14 watts or less are generally less likely to overheat

Don Klipstein

RichK,

you know you are only getting what you paid for.

Btw: Isn't Target for poor asian kids?

I have two electric space heaters: a Lakewood oil radiator and an AdobeAir oscillating ceramic heater. Both are many years old -so I can't speak for the newer models However, my LakewoodModel 7000/A electric oil radiator space heater still works well with the exception of one bad power level lights (it is very old and the least expensive of the two units). The AdobeAir, Inc Model C300000 has also worked for years but I don't use it too often - it has its own floor stand. Both can operate from 600W to 1500W. Both were made in China. I inherited my Lakewood oil radiator from my father when he passed away - my guess is that it is about 20 years old. The AdobeAir unit is about ten years old.

The chinese export market is price sensitve but currently it is not quality sensitive. This is because the general market is more or less price sensitve not quality sensitive. Much of that is due to the rise of big box retailing and how it has put significantly greater price pressures on manufacturers in recent times. I'd check consumer reports next time before buying an applicance if I were you.

Wrt to when will export quality rise?

We look at Japan as an example.

The quality of Japanese manufactured goods rose when its society became more affluent and more of its production was domestically consumed rather than exported abroad. As Japanese society became more affluent, they affected the quality of the goods manufactured there - often test marketing japanese manufactured goods before they were being exported abroad. For example, japanese hybrid cars were market tested in Japan before being exported to the USA. Thus it is not the influence of export consumer but the domestic consumer that is key to raising the quality of exported chinese manufactured goods. so.... As Chinese consumers become more affluent ( i.e. there are more rich chinse kids in China) they will consumes and demand higher quality goods and products from chinese manufacturers. Eventually the effect of this demand for higher quality within the domestic market will trickle down to export markets.

Reply to
drydem

Exactly, there are thousands of companies in China that only have the capability of crankin out crap. There are also thousands of companies in China capable of making top of the line anything. We get what we pay for. I think your dissatisfaction should be directed at the parent companies who clearly ignore quality control.

Reply to
RBM

Well, you are close. American consumers want as much as they can get of the cheapest crap in the world. The day-after-Thanksgiving was evidence of that.

Reply to
Norminn

I just did that with Home Depot and Price Pfister faucets. Never again.

Reply to
Norminn

clipped

My Datsun (now Nissan) was a lemon. My '76 Chevy was great. My '84 Buick is still great. Salt air is tough on her, though.

Reply to
Norminn

Wonder what worker's comp. disability benefits are in China?

Reply to
Norminn

correction: I just went upstairs to check my old Lakewood and found out that my Lakewood radiator was made in the USA (Illinois) not China. My bad. Amazing how it still works, too. :-)

I expect that as the chinese manufacturing sector matures - more chinese manufacturers will start to do more independent research and product development which eventually lead to chinese manufacturers dictating higher levels quality. Big Box retailers whose primary focus is just price will start importing from other countries, where they can dictate price.

Reply to
drydem

You SOMETIMES get what you pay for. Buying the most expensive item may get you quality, or it may just subsidize an overactive marketing department. Further, to say that scammers can't overcharge to insinuate quality would be downright foolish.

Reply to
clifto

I can remember when it was true of Japanese products.

Reply to
clifto

The worker's family pays for the bullet?

Reply to
clifto

In Texas, it's the Hispanics ;-)

The quality of Japanese products and affluency rose when the workers were unionized. Which was also their downfall, costs became too high so that production found Southeast Asia, then India. But Japan's improved technical education allowed them to move into high technology production where better margins moved them from quantity to quality.

SE Asia didn't do the tech education thing right and lost out to China. India is now loosing some markets to China, high tech education is there, yet to see how they go. They are exporting a lot of their educated.

China likes the aroma of success, but can the government handle success and their people. If so, the unionization and market outpricing can't be far behind. There seems to always be someone ready to fill the need for low cost production.

The companies are providing exactly what the market demands. That's the only way any business stays around.

You ARE the market, you determine what is made, at what price. But you could be in the minority, for the time being. Or simply buying at the wrong place ;-)

-larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

They kick you out of the way, bring in another worker, fire you and harvest your organs for resale to the worlds rich. That way the company doesn't lose money because of loss of production from the time needed to force the next person to work the unsafe conditions.

Reply to
do_see

None. Low level factory jobs are not career jobs. Migrant workers work three or four years and move up, move out , move home or start their own enterprises.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

I guess then that this means that they have no incentive to improve their skills as far as manufacturing.

Reply to
do_see

He proved a great deal to the analytical, rational, and open mind. He postulated that there were three axioms to creating wealth: Division of labor, Self interest, and Free trade. The "Invisible Hand" of the market corrects for imbalance because people DO act in their own self-interest (whether they SHOULD, he left up to the parsons). His work has been recognized as the equivalent to economics as Principia Mathematica by Newton was to physics.

Very much of the "junk" goes back to China, not landfills (over 1 million tons per year, by recent estimates).

HeyBub

Exactly the reason to NOT shop at Walmart. I only go there if I absolutely must, like if I need toilet paper or pet food and all other stores are closed. Walmart sucks in every way.

Reply to
alvinamorey

Wrong. There is this intense hunger to learn everything they can while in the city and the factory. This is on the job education and training they never got at home. They had seen how peasants like themselves go to the cities before them and come back and prosper. They have seen how unschooled peasants like themselves become millionaires overnight. The old middle class had been destroyed by Mao. There is no old money and no old money power or class to block their rise. The new middle class are people like themselves. No doubt only a fraction will realise that dream of becoming significantly better than their old station. But everything is possible. The opportunities are wide open in every field and service. China is on the move. They know no one will give it to them. They will make it for themselves.

I spent a few hours at Beijing's central train station watching migrant workers come and go. That place has easily 10,000 people at any one time. Those that were heading back had a distinct look of hope and confidence in their eyes and in their gait. Those that were coming in looked a bit lost but in no way were they frightened or submissive. They certainly didn't look or carry themselves like they were downtrodden and destitute. They are the future of China for they are truely the sons and daughters of the land.

During my stay I watched a program on CCTV and it featured a self taught artis, now a university prof and one of the most wellknown in China, who came from one of the poorest parts of Shaanxi Province. One portrait of his featured three peasants squatting down in the train station that began as a video clip panning on to them and then dissolving into the acrylic portrait that captured exquisitely the hope in their eyes and the slightly opened lips gaping in wonder at their first arrival in a big city and their entry into a new life. It was then I realised that was exactly what I saw at the train station, the future of China. It was an awesome feeling.

I asked my host how it is possible for an unschooled artist to become an art professor at the university. She said yes, but it no longer possible to do so. It was the Cultural Revolution that wiped out a decade of schooling. When the schools reopened any one who passed the entrance exams or had exceptional talent could be admitted to university. This is true because I have a married couple friend whose husband is a senior Heart Surgeon and the wife an Internist and WHO scholar. He missed school and went the entrance exam admission route. She had four years high school, no elementary. I also met another husband and wife team of top molecular biologists with PhDs from the States and only a batchelor's from China (no elhi schooling).

If the above sounds improbable and unbelievable it does except I have come across many such examples in real life. Do read the book

of One: Memoirs of a Red Guard (American Lives) (Hardcover) by Fan Shen (Author) that has several chapters on his childhood while caught up in the Cultural Revolution. He too had no elhi schooling and he now lectures English in a NYC college if I remember.

Yes and read that National Geographic article too "China's Boomtowns.

This brings to mind another anecdote. My elderly relative visited Shenzen the boomtown near Hongkong. Only in China will you get a sightseeing tour that includes a visit to a sweatshop factory. So she chatted up this girl worker. She said. "Yes we know the shoe sells for $100. Our boss gets only a few dollars profit and pays us 40 cents an hour. We don't care. China has been poor for too long. We will work hard. China will grow rich. Then we will show them."

And that sirs is the competition you face.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

CFLs should not be used on dimmers.

Also proper disposal of these should be considred since it may have lead in it.

Reply to
cln