Any product from China worth buying?

Page 1 of 3
Hi All,
Just wondering, because I'm having terrible luck with anything made in China. In most cases I have no choice, but to buy the junk that fails a month after the warranty.
About a year ago, I got two small space heaters. Both made in China, but different brands. They lasted one winter with only occasional use.
One failed completely - this is one from Target, made by Midea Fan Mfg. The one-shot thermal protector opened. Second was made by (rather marketed by) Holmes, but also made in China. The Holmes unit burned one of the heating elements and was only putting out low heat.
I bought the Holmes, because the last heater I had from them lasted 15 years. The difference seems to be where they are made. Even if China sourced products are sold at half the price, my cost over 15 years will be 5 times.
Both are very simple appliances. Can't the Chinese make anything that will even approach what was on the US market before?
RichK

Sure, they are.
Most of the electronics I have were made in China. I bought them not because they were made in China and cheaper than everything else, but because there were no "everything else" to buy.
Sure they can. Some of the most reliable parts in the PC you're using now probably were made in China. They will make the parts, appliances, etc. every bit as good as the manufacturer pays them to.

You may be confusing Taiwan with the mainland. Taiwan is years ahead. Mainland, well they even manage to screw up a simple C-clamp. Want one as a proof - used twice.
Even so, you must not have heard of the capacitor copy fiasco, if you're talking about computers.
RichK
Not at all, I'm simply saying factories in mainland China, Shanghai mainly, can and do produce excellent first rate things. They are also equally able to make junk. The companies they are manufacturing for,often American companies like Mattel, decide what quality they want to pay for

RBM wrote:

Well, you are close. American consumers want as much as they can get of the cheapest crap in the world. The day-after-Thanksgiving was evidence of that.

I've been saying this for years, and it finally seems to be a reality...
"You get what you pay for. When folks buy the cheap crap instead of reasonable quality goods, the companies making the unwanted quality goods will either go bankrupt or switch to the cheap goods."
If you want to do something about it, make a strong point to your retailers that you WON'T support them if all they stock is cheap junk.

Some people are specifically looking for cheap stuff and are willing to compromise quality and durability. This is the market Chinese products are trying to fill. When I want a screwdriver or a clamp which I might only use once, I get the cheap stuff from Harbor Freight tools. They are so cheap I get a bunch of them. If one breaks I always have another one on hand. If I want something more durable, I get it from a known manufacturer, usually US or European. Before Chinese products came on the scene, you had to buy the professional grade tools with life time warranties that cost an arm and a leg. There is a need for low quality cheap stuff too. The problem comes when the customers can't distinguish between the good and bad stuff.
Noozer wrote:

I just did that with Home Depot and Price Pfister faucets. Never again.
Noozer wrote:

You SOMETIMES get what you pay for. Buying the most expensive item may get you quality, or it may just subsidize an overactive marketing department. Further, to say that scammers can't overcharge to insinuate quality would be downright foolish.
--
Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!

"RichK" wrote

No bashy, bashy, the Chinese. We soon to own you!
Well Mr something is defiantly wrong. I don't think we have to worry much about you owning anyone. With the pollution you generate and the toxic elements you use with no good reason in your products you won't be around long enough to do anything.
China is in it's lawlessness phase where they will use glycol ethylene to sweeten toothpaste, lead in the paint used on kid's toys, deadly cooking oils, exploding beer bottles, melamine in pet food etc.... The air is so thick with pollution now in China that you won't live to see the age of 50. The workers have no safety protection, the Government is..... well no need to state the obvious. Good luck to you all. I hope you wake up before self destructing.
Meanwhile I would rather machine my parts with my bare hands than buy something made in china that breaks as you take it out of the box. I do buy stuff made in Taiwan, their stuff is awsome but this was clearly stated in other posts.

Hey, what's your beef? There are American companies and their CEO's making a bundle off this stuff. Jesus H... next you'll be complaining that we shouldn't grant Most Favorite trace status to countries that have oppressive regimes that are the exact opposite of what we are supposed to stand for.

Keep buying Citgo gas, too. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy Web Site: www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sum Ting Wong wrote:

Remember some guy by the name of...oh, let's think..."Nikita" or something like that, wasn't it? :)
I can remember when they said the same about Japanese.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

You took the words right out of my mouth. My parents were both W.W.II vets (they met in the Navy in the 40's). When I was growing up, Japan & crap were synonymous to them. And when I was a kid, a lot of it WAS crap, like the toys. I don't know if they were overtly toxic, like the recent GHB-bead thing, but I remember taking apart Japanese-made stamped metal toy cars when I was a kid which said "EverReady" or "Pabst" on the inside - they were made out of old flashlight batteries & beer cans. Now names like Honda, Sony, Toyota, Panasonic, etc. are some of the most respected manufacturers anywhere.

Before WWII my father served in the navy and was stationed on a ship that was in China. Someone cracked a sextant and my father brought it to a shop and wanted a new one. They made a great new one, including the crack. After the function was explained to them the made a second one. This one did not have a crack and performed better than the original.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

I can remember when it was true of Japanese products.
--
Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!

I once got a Chinese hacksaw that was very well-made. It got stolen, so I can't identify a "brand" now. I also see Chinese hacksaws that I would call stool specimens - I had experience with one highly prone to popping apart during use, along with the blade being prone to twisting badly enough to make it very difficult (almost iompossible?) to cut straight.
As for Chinese compact fluorescent lamps:
Every spiral one I ever saw nationality of was made in China. Some are made for GE, Philips and Sylvania, and those tend to be made reasonably to outright well-made. (I am aware of a bad run that had some units getting GE's name on them, but that was in 2001.) Philips even has some impressive limited warranties for some of those. On the other end are dollar store compact fluorescents. I have yet to see one significantly outshine a better 40 watt incandescent, nor have I yet to see one with a light output claim meet its claim, and I have seen some with color badly described, some with rotten color rendering, and I already had one give a scary failure (lots of smoke and a burning orange glow in the base that did not stop until power was shut off), and I know someone who had one die early with three loud pops and two of these pops were almost bangs, and he had another die with a lot of smoke output.