Any problem putting a mini fluorescent bulb in a fixture with a glass ball enclosure?

The subject line says most of it. Do you see any issue in putting a

20W mini-fluorescent in a glass ball enclosure?

Thanks

Reply to
Doc

Just self-replying to include alt.home.repair as I meant to do in the first place.

Reply to
Doc

No. I've done it. Fixtures may specify bulb limits based on wattage but real concern is heat build up and cfl's generate far less heat vs lumen output.

Reply to
Frank

CFI uses way less power and generates way less heat than an incandescent. So, they are usually perfect for that application. The only issue would be if the glass enclosure were very small to the point that heat could build up. But if it's like an 8" round decorative light, no problem.

Reply to
trader4

The instructions warn against it, but seems to be just fine. I have used one in an enclosed outdoor bell, 24/7 with no problem. I actually prefer enclosed bulbs indoors, so if they catch fire, it stays inside.

greg

Reply to
zek