any organic grass control?

Hi All,

In my little garden, after the compost and all, the local grasses have found nirvana. I am getting tired of picking their spouts out and am loosing the battle.

Is there an organic method for killing grass, besides manual labor?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

Oops. Ignore. Wrong group.

Reply to
Todd

Mulch-- newspapers or cardboard, covered with grass clipping [if you don't poison your lawn] or leaves- or bagged mulch if you must.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Burn some organic propane?

.

In my little garden, after the compost and all, the local grasses have found nirvana. I am getting tired of picking their spouts out and am loosing the battle.

Is there an organic method for killing grass, besides manual labor?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oops, meant to say spray it with Roundup.

.

Oops. Ignore. Wrong group.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Think goat.

Reply to
HeyBub

Mulch. It can be newspaper, shredded leaves, grass clippings or purchased mulch.

Reply to
Norminn

Get yourself a young puppy. I can sell you one. I live in Florida not sure you are near here. She is 5 months old lab/hound mix. Her mama had 10 pups in my house. Have 2 left, have all shots getting spade next week. I have no foliage or ground cover left in my fenced back yard. She would be ideal for your yard. And she is organic but you would have to feed her and take care of her furture medical needs. Her name is Coco. Oh to let you know she is already 40Lbs and not finished growing. And the poop would be fertilizer.

Reply to
Pat

Of course. My farmer relatives in Idaho used to use something like this

to burn the weeds in their irrigation ditches. Organic water makes weeds grow.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

People for years have used black plastic sheet, weighted down with brick, rocks, logs, anything handy. It's cheap, it works, it's reusable (with reasonable care). Gardeners usually poke holes in the sheet for plants to sprout through. The amount of manual labor is minimal for most anyone without a serious disability. For something that works you usually have to devote some time to it.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

20% vinegar works to kill weeds
Reply to
ChairMan

On 6/17/2012 2:29 PM, ChairMan wrote: ...

Oh, but just think of the poor apples who gave their all for the cause...

Reply to
dpb

Were can you purchase 20% vinegar? Walmart sells

5% white vinegar. And, all my weeds just laugh at it.

I just want to rid the grass sprouts. I want to keep my cucumbers, zucchini, an purslane.

The purslane presents a problem using mulch as it spreads out flat across the ground.

Thank you all for the tips!

-T

Reply to
Todd

I've seen it at feed stores and any good nursery shop. most are carrying the organic alternatives, doubtful you'll find it at the box stores Personally, I stocked up on MSMA before they took it off the market

Reply to
ChairMan

Goats or sheep!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

They will eat my vegi's! 'corse Goats and sheep are good eating too.

Reply to
Todd

There weren't many chemicals way back when my Mom had a garden. It was just the basic push cultivator with the big wheel in front for weed control. She used a garden hoe for the weeds in between plants. This was on a farm so she had all the wheat straw she wanted for mulch.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

sheep

Reply to
Larry W

snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote in news:jro64q$qlc$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Pull them out then....mulch mulch mulch !!

Noahbuddy