Any microwave ovens available with pop sensors?

Page 2 of 2

Hmm, you may be right. Our two small Panasonic units in the office break room died, (they did perfect popcorn), They were replaced with big commercial grade units with higher power and no turntables. The exhibit the same problem. If you wait for the last 30 kernels to pop, it'll burn.
I think the issue with these is that hot spots develop and start burning before all the kernels have popped.
And, no, I don't have the patience to stand in one spot for 3-4 minutes waiting for popcorn to finish. I'm usually doing something else in the meantime, and forget to listen. It shuts off early or late, leaving it incomplete or burnt. (Popcorn simply has no margin for error.) -- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 03:15:34 GMT, "Rick Brandt"

I can hear the cycling on my microwave, when it's set for less than full power.
BTW, this microwave is around 20 years old and still works. It came from Penney's when they sold things other than clothes.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Came with a probe that you plug in? About as big as a 20" tv??
I had one! My brother has it now and it still works!
I used to work for a drug store in the early 80s (Treasury Drug) and we were a division of J C Penney. I got married while I was still working there. We got 20% discount on anything from Penny's. Needless to say, every appliance and piece of furniture I owned was from them.
I was in a Pennys just before Christmas and I think that was the first time I had been in one in about 15 years.....
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:52:20 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"

Yes, for temperature cooking. The microwave switches to that when the probe is plugged in.

That microwave quit one time (the only time it's had a problem). I removed the cover and looked around, knowing there would be almost nothing in there I could fix. The problem was a blown fuse, and Radio Shack had suitable replacements.

I haven't been in a Penney's since about 1984.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

We just got a new MW at Sears. It has a popcorn setting, and it leaves about a dozen kernels unpopped. Close enough for me.
I'm not sure of the model, but it's large and has a rounded inside.

There's an old joke out there somewhere which has a punchline of
"But how do it know???!!!"
;-]

Yes, I was going to say, I have no idea, but I guess I do. After popping a while, it beeps then it shows seconds remaining. (I think about 30 or 40 seconds.) So it must be reading the steam, not listening for pops.
It's more accurate than I am listening to pops. At least so far.
wrote

I don't eat popcorn much anymore, but I remember there were some brands that were better than others (when it came to most of the kernels popping or not).
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

A thermos, keeps hot hot and cold cold... How do it know?
our panasonic inverter microwave 2 cubic foot has a great popcorn button. but no ears. plenty big enough and a nice reheat mode and keep warm mode. has function of the beep programmable to OFF which is just as important as finding a quiet dishwasher. NN-T964SF. sf means stainless front i guess. we bought 8/2004
see also review at: http://www.epinions.com/content_155706494596
Doug Warner wrote:

Why don't you just set your microwave timer to pop 40 seconds more than the popcorn mode?
Or is pressing 4 more buttons too much work for you?

Because, at least in my oven, the transition time between all-popped and burnt to a crisp is about one second. The way I do it, to avoid burning, is to push the PC button, which gets it close then dive for the minute plus button when it times out. Since I only use one type and brand, I really need to time a few bags, and put a label on the oven with the optimum cooking time.
BTW: The a new capacitor and fuse ($27.00) fixed it.
If they made this: http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Giant_20Huge_20Popcorn#1093798800 it would blow the door off when it popped :-) -- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.