Any lawn mower experts?

Hi everybody -

Since it FINALLY stopped raining here in the Northeastern U.S., I decided that today would be a good day to cut the lawn one last time before the winter. Everything was proceeding normally until I decided to mow a particularly high patch of grass behind which, unbeknownst to me, lurked a large piece of black fabric mulch. The mulch got caught in the blade, and the mower stopped running.

I've dislodged the fabric from the blade, and the blade spins fine on its own, but now the mower won't start. The cord pulls fine, but nothing else happens. Suggestions? It's a 3 year old Craftsman 6.5 HP

21" mulching mower, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance! - Ali

Reply to
ninjadaisy

You have probably bent or sheared the shear pin. This may be further than you want to go.

Different mowers may or may not need every step, but probably will. Remove the fuel and fuel line. Remove the air cleaner. Remove the upper cowling. Remover the pull cord mechanism. You should now see the flywheel. It is a round aluminum casting with little fins all around the top. Make sure you have removed the nut holding it on - it may have been holding part of the pull cord mechanism. Now it is time to remove the flywheel. It will probably be very hard to remove. If you use a puller that grabs the outer rim, be very cautious: it is not difficult to break the flywheel. DAMHIK. It can even be broken with the correct puller and lags. A steering wheel puller with 1/4 lags works fairly well.

There will be a small 1/2 moon or square key in a groove on the shaft that also fits in a groove in the flywheel. This alignment is critical, it is the timing for the engine. If the key has been deformed at all, replace it. They usually cost about a $1.00. Reset the magneto coil by loosening the 2 bolts that hold it in position, put a business card between the flywheel and the magneto, turn the flywheel until the magnets have a strong hold of the magneto, tighten the bolts that hold it, remove the card.

Reassemble and run it.

DanG

Hi Bob - Briggs.

thx - Ali

Reply to
ninjadaisy

if youtipped the mower over with the carb down,yo may have soaked the air filter.so i would take off the air filter and see if it will run.if it does,then get a new filter.also take out the sparkplug and wash the oil off with some solvent.allways tip yor mower with the carb up,not down. lucas

ds549

Briggs or Tecumseh engine?

Bob

Reply to