Any ladies here?

I would use a coathanger, and have done so.

I remember one of the old "Peanuts" comics where Linus had no idea what a clothes pin is. I know. My grandparents used a clothesline when they lived on the farm (until 1981).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I didn't learn how to do it from anyone. When I needed to figure out how to do it, coat-hanger wire was the most obvious thing I had.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

D'oh!

I've found 14AWG THHN to be quite handy stuff to have around. I just used it to fish some wire through the hatch of my girlfriend's car. I was wiring up the rear fog light, if you really must know (it's a VW Corrado - yes, I hate people that drive around with their rear fog lights on when it's not foggy; but it also bugs the crap out of me that there's a switch on the dash from the factory with two positions and the second position does nothing. Does that make me obsessive compulsive?)

Yes, I pulled some 14AWG stranded behind the THHN once I got it where I needed to get it. Attempting to snake the stranded through directly would have been like trying to push spaghetti through conduit.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I keep suggesting the use of a nail gun, but nobody follows my advice,

not even me : o

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Tie a new string to a small object that will fit into the hole and work the object through the string path. It takes a little patience. Women usually have a sizable safety-pin for this purpose, but lots of small objects will do the job.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

A nail gun might work if you got smart nails, the kind than can follow the curves of the garment.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

OTOH, with a nail gun who needs the draw string. :-0

Reply to
krw

I've always taken a wire coat hanger and straightened it out, then taped the end of the string to it. Like you say, it can take some patience but I've managed to get the job done that way.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

"Mike Dobony" wrote in news:eq2rfe$41o$ snipped-for-privacy@news.netins.net:

It's out completely? Get a safety pin and pin to one end of the draw string. Fish the pin thru the waist band until it comes out the other end. Remove the pin. walla! The string is now back in the pants. Before the next washing, tie the drawstring in a double bow to prevent this happening again.

Reply to
Lisa BB.

My mother made up a sewing kit for me when I went off to college. She used mostly things she had duplicates of by her age.

She put it in my father's old toiletry kit, not to make it manly, but because she saved my father's stuff after he died and this was a way to use that. Latch was damaged and wasn't really good for toiletries anymore.

I still have the kit 40+ years later, with the pin cushion, pins, needles, spools of common colors fo thread, thimble, etc.

As to safety pins, I dont' think she gave me any, but the summer after high school, I was a Fuller Brush man, selling brushes, toilet, and cleaning supplies door to door. Somehow, I tore the seam in my pants from 3 inches below the waist all the way to the middle back to front. Rather than go home, I went to a store and bought about 20 pins on a piece of wire. After I took off the pants, I put the safety pins in the sewing kit, and they lasted me about 25 years before I used them all up.

Reply to
mm