Any IP or ethernet-capable HVAC thermostats with their own internal web-server?

I've looked up the IP/Ethernet thermostats available from four different vendors, and their products don't seem to allow for direct web-based access to the thermostats by the end-user. The way they do it is that the thermostat communicates directly with a server operated by the manufacturer, and the end user accesses their own thermostat via web interface hosted by the manufacturer.

Does any thermostat manufacturer offer an IP-thermostat that contains it's own web-server that's directly accessible by the end user to program the unit and allow for direct monitoring, view temperature and performance logs, allow for e-mail alerts, etc? These are all trivial functions that you'll find on any $100 IP-based webcam.

Reply to
HVAC Guy

Yes:

It does everything you listed including the email alerts and a mini web server built in.

Here is a screen print of the thermostats remote-control web page:

It has a power adapter block that you punch down the tehermostat to, then you just run CAT5 from the power adapter to your home's network hub (or switch).

If you've already secured your home LAN for external access half the job is done.

I'm using similar IP devices on my network switch (cameras and lighting control) both of these also have their own web servers for remote access.

ISP's also generate DNS names for your home these days so you dont even need a fixed IP address from your ISP, you can get to your home by DNS name.

HTH

Reply to
RickH

Yes, it seems that the Proliphix thermostat does have a useful internal web server.

Too bad that it's over $300. Quite a rip-off (2 to 3 x the price) compared to a significantly more complicated device like an IP-webcam.

What I'm looking for is, perhaps, not so much an internet-accessible thermostat as much as an internet-accessible information "hub" that can record and log stuff like temperature and furnace operation (heat-on/heat-off), door opening and closings (by picking off the contacts from existing alarm system), and make that info available remotely, set e-mail alerts based on specific conditions, etc. More along the lines of remote property monitor (but not from the POV of being a security system).

What ISP's do DNS hosting for dynamically-assigned IP addresses? And what does it cost? And will they do it for a residential vs business broadband connection?

Reply to
HVAC Guy

I have Comcast Business Class, not sure about residential.

I get about 20 Mb/s download and 3 Mb/s upload in my area with Comcast, have not found anyone faster here. I guess until someone wants to run fiber to my door, the phone companies around here wont do that.

Reply to
RickH

For data collection you could write a little program to wake up every

10 minutes and go "browse" the thermostat web page and log a copy of it, inspect it for changes, etc.
Reply to
RickH

I have Comcast Business Class, not sure about residential.

I get about 20 Mb/s download and 3 Mb/s upload in my area with Comcast, have not found anyone faster here. I guess until someone wants to run fiber to my door, the phone companies around here wont do that.

I have Comcast small business in my home and my normal D/L runs 14,800kbps, up is around 3,500kbps

Reply to
Steve

LOOKUP THESE SITE BELOW

Grumpy