Any ideas on a bench belt sander?

I had an el cheapo one inch wide belt, belt sander; no flat disk combination. I used it mostly for sharpening knives (carefully with the finest grit I could buy) and touch up on some scroll saw items.
Bought the thing for $30 at one of these traveling tools shows that was going through town about five years ago. One of the plastic pulleys flew apart on it, so am going toss it.
The motor is fine, anyone want a small electric motor? No charge.
Want to get another one, and most are 4 inch belts with a disk sander on the side. That is fine, assuming I can get 400 grit or more sandpaper. Went to HD, and they had one (I forget the brand) for $120. I asked the manager for a discount. He acted insulted and asked why he should give me a discount. I counted them off for him: 1, because I am a nice guy; 2, because you are a nice guy; 3, because I am an old man; 4, because I'll buy it if you do.
He told me he wouldn't even give his old man a discount on it. I told him I was going to buy it before he displayed that attitude. He obviously didn't care. I left.
Then went to Harbor Freight and they had one for $75, but it was a hunk of junk. Also went to Sears, and the only one they had was as junky as Harbor Freight's, and was $130.
Any recommendations or suggestions, please.
Bob-tx
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:29:15 -0600, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:

Check out Burr King .. 3 wheel 1" belt grinder.
Nothing better! I have had mine for 30 years and it still looks new. I use it at least 1 x week. Slightly EXPENSIVE ! Google Burr King.
Norm
On 2/17/2011 6:17 PM, NSN wrote:

I like their Whopper burgers. :-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Excellent :) (post, not burger)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 2/18/2011 7:41 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ^_^
TDD
On 2/17/2011 7:17 PM, NSN wrote:

Go to your local post office and if they are not out, ask for a few change of address forms. Inside the nice little package you should find a 10 or 15% off coupon from Home' Depot. Wave the coupon in front of the obnoxious manager and buy the sander with the discount.

Good idea, I had forgotten about that. Used to get them now and then for Lowes. I guess they change companies from time to time. Thanks for the idea. Bob-tx
Is this the hunk of junk you saw at HF?
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-belt-and-5-inch-disc-combination-sander-34951.html
I've had one for 8 or 10 years of moderate weekend warrior use. I see their web site says they are currently back ordered. Periodically they go on sale for as much as 50% off.

On Feb 17, 8:38pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Think I got mine for $49 plus tax a couple of years ago. Stuff like this is made in China and fortunately these days can often be bought directly from there if you dont mind waiting a month to receive it. Shipping can often cost more than the item. Expect an item like this to cost arounf $10 and shipping around $15.
Jimmie

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-belt-and-5-inch-disc-combination-sander-34951.html
No, not the one I saw in the store. It was a 4 inch belt. Bob-tx

I have an obvious bias, and it's going to cost you a whole lot more than $30:
http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com /
Frank
--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.sharpbywarner.com
Bob-tx wrote:

Keep your eye on Craigslist. I found a 4" Craftsman for $25. I called, and the owner said come on over. While I was there, the chap asked if I knew anyone who wanted a larger sander - a Delta 6" - never taken out of the box.
"How much do you need to get for it?" I asked.
"Oh, thirty dollars," was the stunning reply.
"I'll take it too(!)," said I.
Gave the smaller one to my son.

I advertise for WANTED when I am looking for things. I have gotten some great bargains from people who don't really know the value of what they have, or just have it stuck back in a closet or garage somewhere and was going to sell it "sometime", or they want to convert it to cash before the owner gets back from their camping trip.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Ohhh! A most excellent idea. 'Til now, I've been a passive shopper, scanning the listings for things of interest. I'm gonna start listing my "wants" sometime soon.
"Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote in message

Yea , go back to Home Depot and buy the Ryobi...Looks like a nice unit for 119 bucks...And don't act like a jerk this time....LOL..
"Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote in

Try this.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?pD884&cat=1,43072