Any experience with home blood pressure cuff

My wife has been harping on me to buy her a blood pressure cuff. Personally, I'm not sure what she plans on doing with it. I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing? Any recommendations?

Reply to
Vinny P.

Umpteen years ago, I did take a course on measuring BP. Took a couple hours, and was very informative. I'd make some calls, and see if any of the ambulance bases around you can find such a course.

You think your BP might go down a bit, if she'd stop harping on you?

.

Anyone here have experience with home blood pressure testing? Any recommendations?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I like my Omron BP785 better than the others I've tried. It's easier to use and seems to get numbers closer to what the nurse at my doctor's office gets (nothing scientific here, though).

Reply to
cjt

I've got an arm unit and a cheapo HD wrist unit and don't like either. The arm one is difficult to attach properly and the wrist does not agree with it. I prefer testing on the drug store machines.

Reply to
Frank

They're not very expensive easy to use and accurate (or at least they produce consistent readings).

The one I got has a USB port but had no information in the package about how to use it. So far, it resists all my attempts to get data out of the unit.

I'd look for one that at least claims in the packaging that the USB port works. I good computer based BP history would be worthwhile I think.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Jes so happens I bought a brand new "Aneroid Sphygmomanometer":

Works exactly like the one yer doctor uses. The difference is, this unit has the stethoscope built into the cuff so you don't hafta hold it while you are letting the air outta the cuff. This is as it should be, as a unit with a separate stethoscope is harder to use cuz you only have so many hands. This one also has a re-zero-able gage, the reason I hadda toss my old one, which didn't.

This is the most accurate way to take yer own blood pressure. You can actually slow the release of air in the cuff down to the point where it's slow enough to get an extremely accurate reading, unlike automatic ones. If you are not savvy as to how blood pressure is taken/read, ask yer doctor or a nurse. It's actually rather simple and a manual cuff gives you precise accurate control.

I had an auto digital blood pressure unit, but didn't trust it. I tossed it and bought this one, which looks exactly like the one I had before, 'cept my other one didn't have a re-settable gage.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I won't use them either. Had a patient that was getting a BP medicine, the auto had him as having a high blood pressure, which he hadn't had the whole hospitalization. Redid it manually and got a BP that was real low. If I had used the auto I would have crashed him.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Hi, I have A&D Engineering Inc.'s UA-731 which runs on four AA batteries. When I had kidney trouble I used it quite a bit. Pretty accurate. Still working after 20 years use. Drug store sells them.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Omron seems to have good units. My wife uses one and my son (who is in the medical equipment business) recommends them.

They are very accurate, but, you have to know a little about what affects the readings to get consistent and accurate readings. Simple, really, what you get after some activity is not the same as what you get after relaxing for 15 minutes. Follow the instructions, take the readings at about the same time and activity level.

You may want to experiment just to see the differences. Take a reading, go split a half cord of wood and take another readings.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hard to split a half a cord of wood around Houston suburb. On the other hand I have a picture of a cousin of mine in Ogdensburg, NY who splits his own word at his retired age. Come to think of it with all my wisdom , what is a cord of word in terms of quantity? Obviously I'm a city boy unlike a lot of my cousins from upstate NY.

Reply to
Doug

We have an Omron. It has a RTC and the ability to track two separate users. The readings matche the DOCs mercury sphygmomanometer.

Reply to
George

Take your blood pressure? ;-)

Sure. I used one of the cheapie wrist models for a couple of years. It read a bit on the low side but worked well enough. FWIG, these don't work as well on other people so an arm cuff is preferred. Last fall I bought a Panasonic cuff like this one:

It works well enough but is a bit more of a pain to use than the wrist model.

Reply to
krw

I asked the sales lady in a pharmacy dept which one had the least complaints. She said the Omron models. I bought one, the arm model, and it works good. No complaints from me. It's as automatic as you can get, checks BP, pulse rate, and arrhythmia at the push of 1 button.

Reply to
Red

One of the wrist models I had tested for arrhythmia and wouldn't read anything if it couldn't get a regular heartbeat. You wouldn't think it unusual that the cuff would fail if it couldn't get a consistent beat, unless the whole reason you were using the damned thing was because of A-Fib. :-(

Reply to
krw

"Vinny P." wrote in news:jv1bgn$pk7$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

The arm cuff wouldn't work for me. I had to exchange it for the one for the wrist. Even tho they say the wrist cuff is not as accurate. I took it to my Dr. appointment and it matched what the doc got.

Reply to
Marina

A pile stacked 4' x 4' x 8'. I can burn about 5 cords if I heat my house with mostly wood. As I got older, I found it easier to pay the oil bill and turn the thermostat to the desired temperature.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We have both wrist and cuff. My wife had A-fib (now fixed) and both would indicate if she was out of sync. Of course, the heart rate of

180 gave you a hint too.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My wrist model does not work on me.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

:

That's not limited to the home units. Same thing happened to me in the dr's office with their high dollar automated machine. They had to take it manually to get a reading. And mine is not a-fib, it's PVC's

- same symptoms but from the other side of the heart. In this case PVC is Premature Ventricular Contraction, not Poly Vinyl Chloride. (Thought I'd mention that to keep it from being totally off subject for this newsgroup.) :-)

Reply to
Red

Thanks Ed. I'll ask my cousin what he does for winter. 5 cords is a lot of wood to chop.

Reply to
Doug