any electrician out there?

Shocking! Not to force, but do you have to be oily in the morning?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No, it's not. Please stop giving advice on subjects you are ignorant of.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'd say go for the 100 amp brkr. It's a good start point, lots cheaper than any of the alternatives, and sounds like sound advice from someone on site that could have tried to sell you a bunch of expensive fixes, assuming his license and insurance are current. Be sure he gets the required permits and permissions if needed. He'll know what they are but you can also always call your local zoning office for info too.

If that doesn't fix it, then perhaps more expensive repair will be needed, but IMO it's a very sensible place to start. The over-price will be negligible if more serious work is required, but I don't think it will be.

You also *could* have someone make measurements (unless it's already been done) to insure that a new breaker is going to suffice; but if it's a 90A, it's fairly old already to start with, if it's outdoors, conditions are worse on it, etc. etc. etc.. Measurements will cost another few $ but sometimes it's better to be sure right up front when you're close as you seem to be. It's quick & easy to make such measurements though you might have to go in and turn a few things on while they're measuring. Appreciate your electrician; he seems to be doing the right things to get you out of trouble at minimum expense.

HTH

Reply to
ALOE.org

And you weren't there, so you haven't seen it.

Reply to
ALOE.org

Which is something should always be considered anyway.

Reply to
ALOE.org

Sounds like an ideal setup if/when you ever decide to install a genset.

Reply to
ALOE.org

No; no such things as "falling" in the universal sense. "Falling" is generally assumed to mean descending toward the earth. The earth isn't falling; it's being suspended in a path by external gravitational and electrical forces, among others such as black matter, material in space, etc..

Yup. But with a handy breaker to remove, a few clip leads and a good ammeter gives great results without repositioning, proximity effects, etc.. Love clamps, but love a chance to direct-connect even more! Safely, of course! Clam ps are a lot safer as long as they stay plugged in!

Cheers,

I'd say it's the best first-line of attack, viewed from "here".

Reply to
ALOE.org

It's the state of the world today, I'm afraid. Everyone feels the loss of control in their lives and some project that to their posts. It's gotten better here lately; I actually left for several months because of it making reading relevant next to impossible.

Cheers,

Twayne

Reply to
ALOE.org

lol, well stated!

Reply to
ALOE.org

No, not at all. Reading comprehension problems?

Neither do I.

I don't live where you are. Why are

Why do you care about where anyone but the OP lives? That's OT.

The OP DID that; reading comprehension problems again?

It's your monitor! Get far, far away from it! And if the condition doesn't improve within three months, see a PA or veterinary doc or something; maybe a free clinic. Most will keep your diseases a secret these days.

But ... but ... that's what you did! Got reading comprehension/projection problems too? And, did you ASK any questions? Did you ask her for the numbers on her meter? Did you ask for any info on the box? ALL things that anyone could likely see and write down with a modicum of instruction. No, you didn't. But you sure still had a hell of a lot to say with your "recommendations".

No, it makes for a pretty stupid set of posts from you, which have now been memorialized for all time in archives at Google and about a thousand other such repositiories around the world for all to see now and after your grand-children's children pass on. You should learn to us x- lines if you dont' want to be recorded for all posterity. And after that you could use some education. And interpersonal skills. And real world knowledge and experience. And ...

You're wrong, because these groups are a great place for confirmation and verification of information if nothing else. The majority of people have answered based simply on the input given and nothing more, because there WAS enough to make certain judgements on. Some others felt the need to suggest spending huge amounts of money on service upgrades and rewiring et al, and although those are options, there was nothing in the OP to indicate that money was no problem; in fact, it seems it would have been, or an electrician would have made different recommendations than suggesting that the breaker was simply likely worn out, and recommending a replacement. He could have gone for the big bucks first, but he didn't, and if he's an actual electrician as many have pointed out, he's doing the right thing by the OP. We don't know what else he suggested as possible alternatives, but we do know he said the brkr appeared faulty and that replacing it should put the OP back in business again. Since it's his rep on the line, it's likely to be good advice. OTOH, had the OP said the electrician had this 50A camper breaker sitting in his truck, and between that and rewiring 3/4 of the house in

14 ga wire, he could fix her right up, well, there might have been a LOT of responses that weren't nearly as agreeable here! Verify and confirm; it can be a LOT of comfort to those wondering if they have decent advice or not, and I believe the concensus presented here, is the correct one.

And lastly, the OP wanted to know if a 90 vs a 100 amp brkr would be an OK change? Which of course it is.

Flame back, whatever you like; I won't be answering you. I've vented and had my mental entertainment now, so there's nothing left to say.

HTH, I really do.

Reply to
ALOE.org

Umm, you don't think the local board will be inspecting? What do you know that I don't?

Reply to
ALOE.org
[snip]

The earth is a mass like any other object, and has no such privileged status (that's just SLIGHTLY less unreasonable than anthropocentrism). Falling is a movement caused by gravity, and it's happening to ALL objects.

BTW, earth is also falling into the sun (that's part of what an orbit is).

Drop a football and both objects (earth and football) move equally (there's no way around that unless one or both were being restrained by some external force).

[snip]

[snip]
Reply to
Harry L

And I've not claimed I have...if you'll read my posts, I told the OP (and others) she should take the advice of the pro who had...

--

Reply to
dpb

He may know that there's no inspection required. The OP could live in the boonies.

I live the 4th largest city in the nation. There's no inspection, or permit, required for fiddling with the breaker box. That includes replacing it.

I think my city decided to put the money required for permitting, inspections, and enforcement into the fire department budget.

Reply to
HeyBub

Please get it on film next time you try this with a 90 amp load.

Reply to
metspitzer

Kind of like discussing gravity in a home repair group? Yeah, I know where you are coming from.

Reply to
metspitzer

Um, you forgot to say that I'm humble enough to say that she should have it assessed by a professional where she lives instead of trying to get "advice" in a newsgroup populated by the usual subjects.

And you seem to have a knack for stating quite a lot about the situation without ever having set foot in the OPs state!

What's up with that?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thank you for posting this, ALOE. This person is in my killfile, and I otherwise would have not seen it. And thank you for your spot on evaluation, information, and posts.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You've covered the subject, and out of the list of usual suspects, given the best advice yet.

But, you really do need to get a life.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And stupid enough not to realize that she's already done exactly that.

Reply to
Doug Miller