any electrician out there?

Page 2 of 3
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:51:15 -0400, "ALOE.org"
[snip]

The earth is a mass like any other object, and has no such privileged status (that's just SLIGHTLY less unreasonable than anthropocentrism). Falling is a movement caused by gravity, and it's happening to ALL objects.
BTW, earth is also falling into the sun (that's part of what an orbit is).
Drop a football and both objects (earth and football) move equally (there's no way around that unless one or both were being restrained by some external force).
[snip]

[snip]
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:51:15 -0400, "ALOE.org"

Please get it on film next time you try this with a 90 amp load.

Yeah, man. Just rip out that old 90 amp panel and put a 200 in there. That should hold it. What's the worst that could happen? Why is everyone being so paranoid?
Steve

It's the state of the world today, I'm afraid. Everyone feels the loss of control in their lives and some project that to their posts. It's gotten better here lately; I actually left for several months because of it making reading relevant next to impossible.
Cheers,
Twayne
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:53:20 -0400, "ALOE.org"

where you are coming from.
Michelle wrote:

Nobody here can tell what condition your panel/wiring/etc. are in but an electrician came and looked and said "ok". What are we supposed to say--he's wrong?
BTW, the increase in size from 90 to 100A is certainly ok if that's your concern--wiring is not sized in such fine increments--wired sized to be adequate for 90A is the same size as would be used for 100A.
I'd say the answer to the question is afa anyone here can tell, go w/ the electrician assuming he is a reputable one, not somebody you found by knowing someone who has a b-i-l who moonlights as a fly-by-night on the side handyman...
Michelle wrote:

What is the total amp draw on the 90 amp breaker? I believe you should not exceed 80% of the breaker rating.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

You believe wrongly. The 80% requirement applies only to continuous loads, which is specifically defined by the NEC as maximum current for more than three hours.

The electrician should have checked to make sure the box and the supply will support 100. I believe it is likely it would, but without seeing it, I guessing is the best I could do.
Those that are suggesting this might be a good time to consider increasing your service to say 200 amps are doing you a favor. Ask your electrician about it. If you have a small home and really don't need it, then 100 should be fine.
snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote: ...

He (the electrician) has already there, assessed the situation--if he was even half-way competent and saw an undersized service entrance wouldn't he have already made the recommendation????
Michelle wrote:

I'm not an electrician, but I play one on this newsgroup.
The swap of 100 amp breaker for a 90 amp will be fine.
Wow, you're famous! May I have your autograph?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sorry. I'm disabled and can't write.
There was an unfortunate encounter involving a 220-volt outlet, a plumber's helper, and a jar of mayonnaise some years back...
Shocking! Not to force, but do you have to be oily in the morning?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

First, if your house has a 90 amp service, it must be old. Therefore, it is from a time before we had toasters, microwaves, and all the gobs of goodies everyone plugs into the wall sockets.
If you want to just save and use your 90 amp panel, you need to go through, and throw out about half your "stuff", as you don't have enough electricity to run it all. You could do that, and many people do when it costs too much to upgrade, or they like a simpler lifestyle, or, say at a cabin where service is limited. Or, you can just run certain things at certain times, remembering not to use the microwave when the AC is on, etc, etc, etc, but that is a pain, and something always ends up overloaded.
If you want to upgrade, you will have to run much more than a panel. Sure you could put in a 200 amp panel, or a 400 or a 12,000. But from there, the wires have to take it all over the house, and there again is where you are weak. You'll need to upgrade all through the house, add outlets, add heavier wire, etc.
Whatever you do, have a licensed electrical company do it, don't cheap out, and wire for the future. You're betting your house on it.
Steve

What a load of garbage. You have no way of knowing that.
[snip of utterly useless drivel masquerading as "advice"]

She already hired a professional electrician to come out and look at it. And you think you know more about the situation than the guy who was actually there. What amazing arrogance. And what amazing foolishness.

lol, well stated!

Um, you forgot to say that I'm humble enough to say that she should have it assessed by a professional where she lives instead of trying to get "advice" in a newsgroup populated by the usual subjects.
And you seem to have a knack for stating quite a lot about the situation without ever having set foot in the OPs state!
What's up with that?
Steve

And stupid enough not to realize that she's already done exactly that.

Thank you for posting this, ALOE. This person is in my killfile, and I otherwise would have not seen it. And thank you for your spot on evaluation, information, and posts.
Steve