Any chemists? Need HCl advice

Page 1 of 3
My toilet has a ring around it no cleaner will touch. I am seriously thinking about pouring 33% muriatic acid in it.
I plan to raise the water level in the bowl above the ring (glass filled w/H2O), then pour the acid in. Is this a bad idea? Seriously, no troll, I am about to do it. Its a little scary taking the top off the acid when you see white fumes come out.
--

We are spirtual beings having a Human Experience. - Oprah Winfrey

I do that. We have very hard water. Do not raise the water level as that may flush it. Just pour about a cup full in. Mix it up with the toilet brush Close lid and let it soak a while. Use brush again and then flush. DO NOT INHALE THE FUMES. WW
WW wrote:

Fumes are a big issue. I've heard one good hit of the vapor will melt lungs.
--

We are spirtual beings having a Human Experience. - Oprah Winfrey

"G. Morgan" wrote:

The plasticizers (sp?) in some automotive paint will melt your lungs.
I've worked with strong HCL (muriatic acid) and it will sting your nose like you wouldn't believe.
But you can get it on your skin no problem (but if you've got any cuts - they will sting like a bitch).
I'll take a gallon jug of HCL/Muriatic from Home Depot and take a paper towel and fold it a few times and hold it against the opening of the jug and hold the jug upside down a few seconds to saturate a small area of the paper towel.
Then I'll take the paper towel to my bathtub or sink and clean away any film (soap film, mineral, what-have-you).
This works effortlessly, no real scrubbing or elbow grease. Rinse with water. Doesn't harm the finish at all.
I have one sink that is made out of some sort of composite pastic-sort-of material, some sort of fake marble. HCL doesn't harm it either.
G. Morgan wrote:

Go for it. It's not that bad.
We used to pipette everything by mouth. Except urine (go figure). Suck up a couple of milliliters of HCL and your teeth are REALLY clean!
In case the acid doesn't do a good enough job, a couple of cups of bleach will often remove the stain. Flush away the acid first.

Yes. Now I have been mixing bleach with vinegar to produce chlorine gas to do some odor control. Its highly dangerous. Hcl is going to do it better.
Greg
Bleach with vinegar? Do you mean bleach with ammonia?

Yes. Now I have been mixing bleach with vinegar to produce chlorine gas to do some odor control. Its highly dangerous. Hcl is going to do it better.
Greg

Bleach with ammonia produces other harmful gases other than chlorine.
Greg

Bleach plus ammonia produces phosgene, used in WWI in gas warfare. NOT GOOD in the house. AVOID at all costs mixing those 2.
--
Best regards
Han

I'm not buying it. Where does the carbon atom come from?

You're right. I was mistaken. It's hydrazine that is potentially produced, also a dangerous compound.
--
Best regards
Han

Chlorine isn't dangerous enough for you?

Chlorine is dangerous, but you'd have to really use a lot of bleach and do something insane to get enough to really harm anyone. AFAIK, bleach is still easily available ...
--
Best regards
Han

Good grief. Chlorine gas <> Chlorox
On 4/24/2012 3:30 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

i'm curious as to how you think you are going to raise the water level in the bowl.
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

By displacing enough to cover the ring. I figure a peanut butter sized plastic container filled with water will do the trick. I obviously don't want a metal lid in with acid.
--

We are spirtual beings having a Human Experience. - Oprah Winfrey

On 4/24/2012 4:08 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

the bowl level will remain constant no matter what you put in there.
--
Steve Barker

Not if you plug the toilet with a rag or similar object.
If the water can't go out, it can only go up.

1. Stuff LARGE rag in toilet to stop outflow. 2. Add HCl. 3. Rag starts to fall to pieces...
Just saying, this whole acid thing sounds worse than a little scrubbing.
--
Dan Espen

Dan Espen wrote:

Correct. The rag does start to fall to pieces.
The process takes, however, several hours for any noticeable effect. If then.