any advice on a fridge?

Page 1 of 3
OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on the market. Complete and total info overload...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Hotpoint sucks. So far, I've been happy with my Maytag.

--

Real men don\'t text.

units catching on fire? IIRC, there are only 3 manufacturers with 4-5 brands from each.
KC
KC wrote:

Only thing good Maytag was washer. Now it is only name.

While I will defer to Consumer Reports as James suggested, I have had really good service life from Whirpool products over the last 35 years.
Roper, Amana and GE installed in rental units have not faired as well.
I suggest you go and take a look at the different models and decide what features are important to you.
The good news is they all cost less than 15 years ago and use less energy.
Colbyt

I usually buy Whirpool.
Also unless they have changed Roper is made by Whirpool. They usually leave out the sound deading and a few other things to make them cheeper, but I think the function is about the same.
Maytag was bought by Whirpool, but I would not buy one. They used to be very good, but that was many years ago and later they did not hold up very well.

I don't think there's any one best brand out there. They all have some problems eventually. But I was not happy with my Whirlpool top freezer which had a blown compressor starter after only about 4 years old. Thanks to some people on here who helped me trouble shoot the problem, I got it fixed myself after about $40 for a new module. Sounds like that is a very common problem with Whirlpool fridges. Also, I do not like the configuration of the compressor coils underneath the fridge. They are difficult to access to do a good job of cleaning. Just my 2 cents. Steve
Nate Nagel wrote:

Get something made by Whirlpool, which includes Costco Kirkland, Roper, Estate, and most but not all Sears Kenmores. And even though Whirlpool has taken over Maytag, don't get one of the Maytag designs or brands (Jenn-Air, Magic Chef, Amana), at least now yet. Also Whirlpool parts tend to cost less than those for Maytag and GE appliances.
Avoid anything made by Haier, including products sold under other brands, like GE. A couple of years ago, when Consumer Reports tested chest freezers, they found that a couple of Haier models let the temperature exceed 40-45F, although the GE-branded ones were OK.
Notice that the failure rate for refrigerators roughly doubles when an ice maker is included.
www.ApplianceAid.com and www.FixItNow.com have lots of info and forums.
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:21:13 -0700 (PDT), "larry moe 'n curly"

Remember that is only the ice maker that has to break to get that rating. They are $50-60 on the net for a new one in a box if you shop around and very easy to swap out. I like having an ice maker and I just consider them a consumable like the water filter..

Kitchen Aid is also made by Whirlpool. I've had god luck with mine. Frigidare is another big supplier to Sears. I'd rate there stuff a notch or two down.

Yes, I've repaired mine twice but I certainly like having it. Always plenty of ice available. I'd not buy a fridge without that and a water dispenser.
Nate Nagel wrote:

I think all the old "wisdom" is obsolete and you really need to inspect each potential unit to get an idea of how well it is really engineered and constructed.
My GE Profile Arctica fridge has been pretty much fine, other than having to replace a broken plastic damper door. The door was not available as a separate part, so I just fabricated a replacement. It's been like 5 years since that repair and is still doing fine.
If I were shopping for a new fridge now, I'd look at GE, LG and a few others and make my decision based on a thorough inspection.

Two other things to consider. I recently bought a cabinet depth model. They are designed to fit either totally flush or with only the door sticking out if you have standard depth cabinets around them. I think that is a huge plus. You get a built-in look and don't have several inches of the fridge sticking out. They are about the same storage capacity as a regular model, but do cost more.
The other is there is considerable variation in how they do ice makers. Some are a lot more intrusive and take up more of the convenient usable space. I bought a Kitchenaid for these two reasons.
I'm not favoring GE, or LG, too complicated.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Nate Nagel wrote:

There aren't as many as it appears. Sometimes it's just the manufacturer putting the different names on the same (or nearly the same) units. You can see this when the recalls come out. Example:
Maytag Recalls Refrigerators Due to Fire Hazard.
Name of Product: Maytag, Jenn-Air, Amana, Admiral, Magic Chef, Performa by Maytag and Crosley brand refrigerators
Units: About 1.6 million
Manufacturer: Maytag Corp., of Newton, Iowa*
== I'd check Consumer reports to get a short list, then check prices and not spend too much time thinking about it.**
* And Maytag is owned by Whirlpool. There must be an appliance family tree out there somewhere.
** That's not true. I would spend too much time thinking about it.

I've found Whirlpool to be very reliable, and likewise the Kenmore brand from Sears -- not surprising, since it's made by Whirlpool.

Look at Consumers Reports reliability rating, it will help a bit, but since all are probably made in China reliability ratings dont tell you how its made today, and it changes every year. www.energystar.gov will show you all efficency ratings, they are different. On reliability I bought one companys humidifier, the next year I bought another, the second one was junk and the company said they had alot of issues, i could see they were totaly different. Reliability ratings will help a bit and efficency ratings will save you money. Nothing is made like it used to be.

Just a note about reliability. We have a refrige in our breakroom at work. It was bought in 1938, and has probably in many homes. It was made by Westinghouse, tiny little freezer compartment, and ample room for food stuffs. It stills works, pop and milk are ice cold. You can hardly hear the compressor run and start. It was starting to freeze up liquids, so we determined that the thermostat was bad. We we going to toss it. Icalled Westinghouse, and asked the parts man, if by some chance he might haave a replacement. He poked fun, but he came back, and said he actually had one, and was in his hand. 15.00, and she is working again!! Talk about the old days!
On Mar 18, 8:53am, snipped-for-privacy@zoominternet.net wrote:

I would be happy to buy your fridge if it is for sale :)
My grandparents had an old Servel gas-powered fridge in their basement, it's probably still working for the new owners of the house. Only downside was the tiny freezer and having to defrost it every year.
nate
Servel sent me a post card, couple years back. There was a recall, monoxide getting into the homes. Please contact the company. Have the model and serial copied down, they will likely ask.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus