Ants invade house again, this is war!

The only downfall with this myth is that adult ants don't eat solid foods. They can't digest it because they can't eat it....

Reply to
Lar

I found that simply vacuuming up the tiny ants reduce their numbers enough that they dissapper. We don't get many invasions of the small ones, one or two times a year.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

:On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 18:09:30 -0600, clifto wrote: : :>Dan_Musicant wrote: :>> Several times a year I undergo an ant invasion in my kitchen, :>> principally. They always seem the same - very small black ants, at the :>> most 1/10 inch long. This time, it's different. They are much larger, :>> probably 2-3 times the mass of the usual ants and around 1/8 inch long, :>> black. :>

:>We get ants every year. I put down the packaged ant "traps", little boxes :>with poison in them. It's not long before you can see the trail they're :>taking. A few days and they disappear. : : :I found that simply vacuuming up the tiny ants reduce their numbers :enough that they dissapper. We don't get many invasions of the small :ones, one or two times a year. : :later, : :tom @

Yes, this time I even did some vacuuming of ants, really just because I had the vacuum out. Normally, I use sponges and I have a pile of 15-20 of them at hand and ready!

The ants have dwindled and dwindled and seem uninterested in the bait now. I see at most 1/2 dozen at a time, usually 2-3, but always there's at least one. They are sticking to the trails they were on when they were hitting the bait heavily. I sponged their trails, but they seem to know where they were, which puzzles me. I wonder if these are not stragglers who got lost in my kitchen and haven't made it home yet. I figure the nest may have been decimated now by the rather large ingestion of boric acid bait. I figure the queen is dead.

What I'm wondering is if these ants have a plan B. IOW, if they don't have a princess or two in pupa stage waiting to take over the colony should the queen die for some reason.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Wipe the trails with a little Windex.

Windex makes for a poor insecticide (yet another ant myth) but it's very effective at removing/covering the scent of the trails.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar