Ants and dogs

Specifically, red ants in US MO. They tend to take possession of my back yard every summer.

I have a jug of Amdro, but I can't just pour it out in the yard for fear of damage to the (hungry) dog.

So I gotta build a little Amdro dispenser with an opening large enough for ants, much too small for the dog to penetrate.

Right?

Only alternative is to buy an expensive ant trap that is dog-proof.

Right?

Thx, Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Don't know if this will work for you but try DE (diatomaceous earth - don't get the stuff for swimming pools it won't work) will not hurt the dog (there is a food grade that you can eat).

Reply to
NotMe

Wrong. Don't need to kill ants outdoors unless they are a threat....fire ants? Crawling all over dog food outdoors?

Wrong. Got some Amdro? They make stakes which are driven into the soil. They make a bait for fire ants that is sprinkled lightly around the mounds, and would seem just about impossible for dogs to eat.

More here:

Are there bowls of dog food in the yard? Might as well call it ant food in that case, since ants just love the meat/fat in dog food. Since ants are largely beneficial to the environment, and are all over, there isn't much point in trying to rid the yard of them.

Reply to
Norminn

If people have been using Amdro there for a while, the ants won't eat it anymore. If they are eating dog food you have the perfect bait, dog food. Mix it with boric acid, 12 parts food, one part BA and put it in a can with a bunch of small holes drilled in it. The ants can get in but not the dog. It may not kill all the ants but it will wipe out that colony and the new ones won't eat dog food.

I do understand your concern. My dog got into the fie ants once and it was pretty ugly. He figured out what caused it and he doesn't dig in fire ant hill anymore. YMMV on how long it takes a dog to figure that out tho.

Orthene powder does work but you have to keep the dog out of it. It will kill the mound in a day and you can hose it away after that. The residual will still be in the dirt tho. I prefer the boric acid since I imagine a dog could eat a spoonful without harm and you are only going to be using a gram or so to make a bunch of bait.

Reply to
gfretwell