Antivirus update

I was asked for a review of the Avira antivirus I recently installed on my desktop comp . It does the job , and has been OK for the most part on my other computers . In this unit however , it locks up the computer every time it updates . I have to do a forced shutdown to reboot after every update . I have gone back to Avast on this comp ... haven't killed the Avast banner on outgoing emails/posts yet , but will take care of that soonest .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Not particular to Avira, but how do you know it does the job? Unless you have some obvious virus that pops up and says "Death star 2016" or similar, how do you know there isn't a virus there that's doing God knows what, eg tracking your typing and sending it to Russia?

Reply to
trader_4

I had Avast do a boot scan immediately after install and update . Pretty sure I'm clean and safe . Avast has been pretty good at catching the nasties , used it for several years and now I'm not so sure it was the cause of some of the problems I was having .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

That can hold true for any anti-virus software.

Reply to
Meanie

I've been using Avast (free) for several years now and despite the ads, which I can tolerate, it has done well for me.

Reply to
Meanie

I was using Avast , started having issues with slowdiwns and I thought that was why . Apparently not ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The company used Symantec for a while and it would sometimes pop up a message if it detected a virus and quarantined it. Then they switched to ESET. That pops up a message that basically says it's still on the job. The good part is it hasn't quarantined anything I was trying to use.

ESET doesn't send key logs to Russia. It sends them to Slovakia.

Reply to
rbowman