Antique Ceiling Fan

Bought a 1960's house with an antique ceiling fan in the MBR that sounds like a B-29 on its takeoff roll. No problem; I can replace a ceiling fan in my sleep. Bought a new fan, put it together on the living room floor and went in to take the old one down when disaster struck.
The old fan is hung from a hook screwed into a ceiling joist and rests in a ruber biscuit. The wire is just poked through a hole in the ceiling and there is no box to hang the new fan. Attic access is extremely limited and I would have to crawl over and under about 37 miles of ductwork to get to this corner bedroom. I know that there are telescoping boxes that you can feed through a "small" hole and screw open to expand, but I don't trust them.
Does anyone make an old fashioned ceiling fan that hangs from a hook rather than mounting to a box? If push comes to shove I will have to spend spend a few hours of quality time in the attic navigating my way to the back bedroom to install a reinforced electrical box in the ceiling, but if there is any way to avoid it, I would love to.
Somebody?
Anybody?
Help...?
John
install the box, its the only safe way. the wires connected withut a box are a fire hazard and the entire install will be better and meet code
while you are up there run another wire so the fan can be on whenever while the light is switched at the wall
What you have is probably an old Hunter cast iron fan. Hunter actually still makes a few like that, although even though it hangs from the hook, it's still required to have an electrical box. All you need is a pancake fan box. Its one half inch deep, has knockouts on the back and mounts directly to the beam your current hook is going into.
"John?] "

"John?] "

A shallow box with a stud or similar mount securely screwed to the ceiling joist will safely support your fan and properly enclose the electrical connections. You may have to go to an electrical supply or very good hardware store to find what you need but it should be doable without going in the attic. Don Young