Antifreeze? Where did it go?

ok I'm starting a list on what to look for. Thanks.

Reply to
Muggles

I'm adding this to my list of things to check. Thanks!

Reply to
Muggles

OK Adding your info to my list. Thanks!

Reply to
Muggles

Last time I took it to my mechanic he didn't find any leaks other than the spot where it has an oil leak.

Reply to
Muggles

OK That's something I can actually do myself with a mechanic. I'll look for any of those signs near the hoses. THANKS!

Reply to
Muggles

I saw the oil cap this morning when I topped off the oil when I added the antifreeze and didn't see any why foamy deposit on the cap. I guess that's good news.

Reply to
Muggles

The only time the van runs rough is when it's low on antifreeze, I've noticed, lately. Otherwise, she starts up right away. We put a new battery in a few months ago, too.

Reply to
Muggles

mmmmmmm It's a '98 Ford Windstar, the bigger engine ( I forget the size. )

Reply to
Muggles

After I put in the antifreeze, the heater started working again, so the defroster took care of any fogging.

Reply to
Muggles

DONT USE ANY LEAK SEALERS, like bards leak. I did that ONCE:(

it ruined the heate core, plugged it solid.

this occured in early spring, garage wanted 850 bucks just for labor the dash board had to be completely removed to replace the heater core, sadly the van went to the junkyard bcause i was dumb and used the leak sealer

found the real source of the leak, a bad hose.

Reply to
bob haller

I had a coolant leak in My '68 C10 and just replaced the engine as well as the suspension and everything else. It's now a pro mod race truck. :D

Reply to
Eagle

I just thought....when the engine is hot, did you check for pin hole leaks in the radiator? Sometimes those sneaky leaks don't show untill the engine and coolant is at temp or better. Want a replacement for that Van? I have a '98 Taueus I haven't driven since 11/3/15, and has only 87 K miles on it. Also has brand new tires and brakes.... :D

Reply to
Eagle

IME the far more likely culprit on the 3800's is crack in or bad o-ring on that plastic elbow on the heater return...have had at least one (and often two or three) 3800 or its descendant 3900 from since their introduction and never had any other coolant leak on them...it is, however, generally not long before it's large enough to see the damp spot.

Reply to
dpb

bob haller submitted this idea :

I did the same thing with a '98 Cheep Grand Cherokee limited. This one had bugs galore, and I replaced the radiator twice and the A/C junk under the dash. I put "stop leak" in the radiator, and after driving in 115 degree weather for 6 miles, boom...the bitchin V-8 in that bug ridden cheep spun a rod bearing. I sold that cheep to a feller for $1500.00. That was in 2007. :/

Reply to
Eagle

How often do you have to add oil to that engine?

Reply to
Eagle

Refresh my memory - what year, model, and engine size?

Reply to
clare

3.8 ford Vulcan engine.

Check the front timing cover gasket, but particularly the intake manifold gasket on that engine. If antifreeze was getting into the oil you would know it - it would be rattling and knocking like crazy.

Also check for a small metal pipe under the throttle body between the upper and lower intake manifolds. It is brazed from the factory and the braze sometimes cracks, lettin steem or water out. Can be rebrazwd or replaced - dealer generally has the part in stock (common failure mode)

Also check the bypass hose between the water pump and manifold. It gets hard and cracks, or gets gooey and leaks.

Reply to
clare

The fogging from a bad heater core is sticky and sweet-smelling (and tasting if you do the finger lick test) It doesn't clear with the defogger.

Reply to
clare

Good sealer, used by following the enclosed instructions, will fix a leak and NOT plug the heater core. I've used the stuff hundreds of times in my carreer as a mechanic, and several times on my own vehicles - never had a problem.

Reply to
clare

If you had coolant getting into your oil, your dipstick would look like it had baby shit on it. More likely, as in a Lexus ES300 I had here recently, it's getting into the combustion chamber and going out yur tailpipe. Head gasket problem.

Reply to
shade tree guy