Antifreeze - not just for cars

Page 8 of 9

Some thoughtful people have vast ideas. Some people have half vast ideas.
We won't know until later, if the pipes are all, or half full. I'm not sure I want to, but may half to take a chance.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I hold the owner in high regard. I'm not totally sure who has the paper for the house. But, the fellow I'm working with is a very fine person.Who has had more disasters and setbacks than any man should. Perhaps some to his credit, and some are just life's challenges.
Sadly, the rental house is 45 minute or so drive from me, and a part of the world I never go on work. So, I don't have the "well, I'm going that way any way" excuse. And the place is locked up, I'd have to ask for the key. He keeps "not wanting to impose".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:46:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I agree. As long as you go around and make sure that there are no deflections of over 1/4 inch anywhere, and everything checks perfect with a level at all points, you have nothing to worry about.

Traps will always be full unless they have not been used in long enough that the water has evaporated.
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 05:40:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Not if they've been "blown" - often they don't get completely empty. And I know guys who just take a "drain blaster" to blow the traps for winterizing. Does not make the trap dry, but gets them low enough they won't pop.

BTDT. Particularly traps, the bow from any kitchen or bathroom "snakes" sprayers, and wherever there's a bow that traps water.
It was 4 below zero in the town near our cabin, and probably ten more than that at the cabin. We'll see how good a job we did winterproofing when we fire it up in the spring.
Steve
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:04:45 -0800, "Steve B"

Horizontal runs aren't always horizontal, especially after the house settles. There is also no strong imperative to make all plumbing run downhill. Whole sections of a house may remain full as a result. You really don't want even one burst pipe!
Being Mormon, and the house belongs to a practicing Mormon, that's more likely to be a rootbeer than a real beer. But, the thought counts. Ease of operation is important. Gravity drain is also less dependant on equipment. Doesn't need a balky generator to start, for example.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I can't believe you said that. You are obviously a communist. :-)
I'm not a communist! I voted for Stalin!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Now, what about the water heater? :-)
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 12:54:04 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Fill it with vodka.
Who's gonna help me flush the WH when it gets warmer, or the power is on?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

My money is on the pilot being enough
cheers Bob

new hot water tank at least 400 bucks, is it worth the risk?
on 12/10/2009 12:52 AM (ET) DD_BobK wrote the following:

You don't have an electric water heater, I'm guessing. Winter in the North US causes many power outages due to downed wires from ice weight, or falling ice laden branches.. Gas Furnaces and Oil Boilers also require electricity to run.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

You are wrong.
Anti freeze in traps is standard practice for lots of cabins in the mountains for a reason. Traps freeze and crack. Then you have to repair the damage before you can use the fixtures/toilets.

Is it a special kind of antifreeze? I would imagine most cabins have septic systems and isn't af a no-no?
Jim