Antifreeze - not just for cars

It's an older house, probably 30 plus years old. VERY easy to have saggy horizontals.

Is it (typically) easier to pour antifreeze into the pipes, or blow the water out?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well as I said earlier the slug of water expands in all directions. Not just the directions in line with the pipes. The pressure that causes is more than enough to fracture stone so the piping has no hope of surviving the experience. Every time the hunters have used the toilets after they were antifreeze treated the toilets break and that is just because the antifreeze is diluted with urine. When they are also fastidious enough to use the sink the S trap breaks. So from experience I can tell you that if the water hard freezes in the trap it will fracture.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Tom Horne

Muslims don't have a hotel? All that money, and no hotel? Well, with the island of Dubai, who needs a hotel. I think they have a bunch of hotels, and corner stores in the US.

You know why India women have that dark spot in their forehead? On the wedding night, the groom has to scratch it off, and see if he got a 7-11, a bodega, or a taxicab.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Use a sink sprayer hose, and make it a swirly?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They may own hotels, but are they official Muslim hotels, built specifically to cater to a pilgrimage? I don't know. But Mormons have one!

Have you ever experienced this amazing show?

JoeSpareBedroom

Only if the water supply enters the house above all the other pipes, which is an arrangement I don't think is very common on this planet. Now, if you change the word "pour" to "pump", you may have a chance of this discussion ending before a week from next Tuesday.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

huh? for most of the houses in az, the water supply enters about 3' up an outside wall, and all pipes are below the slab except for stubs coming up where there is a valve.

Reply to
charlie

I'm not sure about the Muslim pilgrimage hotels. As to Pageant, yes, I've heard of it. And I've also been in the audience to see it. Rather impressive. Also rather spiritual, and a great way for the church to get the word out. The Spirit of the Lord is strong there, and helps people to decide to join the church.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, pouring would get the anti-freeze to the 2nd floor. Right?

Yes?

Base your response ONLY on the word "pouring".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I figured there had to be some way to use a garden sprayer, and adapt it some how, to a garden hose. Maybe a lot of duct tape, and a couple hose clamps. Use that to pump antifreeze into the water lines.

Of course, when the house is reoccupied, they would have to flush a bunch of water through the lines, to clear the antifreeze.

The water inlet is through the cellar floor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The house in question is in NY. Water supply comes through the floor, and goes up from there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now, that's a real life experience field report. Thanks for the dose of reality.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

All I know is that the traffic kept me from getting to a fishing hole early enough one day. It's just a 2-lane road leading to that festival.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How many lungs full of air would it take to blow the antifreeze into the pipes? Let's get all mathy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Pouring antifreeze into the pipes would have the same problem as trying to use gravity alone to drain them.

So, do you want easy that doesn't work? In that case, why bother doing anything? Doing nothing would be even easier, and just as effective!

Reply to
salty

As long as the low parts are not more than half filled with water they are unlikely to burst. Same goes with traps. If there is only enough water to half fill the bottom of the trap, they usually won't split.

Reply to
clare

Route 21 is two lanes, north and south of the visitor center. Opens up to 4 lanes, by the visitor center and the Pageant. Sorry it delayed your fishing. It's usually busy only from about 8 PM to midnight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I doubt human lung power would do the job. A pump top garden sprayer, and some duct tape, and the end off a garden hose, maybe. And a couple hose clamps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some thoughtful people have vast ideas. Some people have half vast ideas.

We won't know until later, if the pipes are all, or half full. I'm not sure I want to, but may half to take a chance.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I say do nothing, which will prove or disprove at least one theory. :-) How much do you like the owner?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom