Antifreeze - not just for cars

Page 3 of 9

Don't ask me how I know. Some people will say that there has to be a sealed pipe, otherwise there's room to expand up the pipe. Balderdash, I say. And what's the big deal taking 15 minutes and two gallons of RV antifreeze and going through the house? Also, don't forget the toilet tanks. There is about a pint of water in there that won't drain, and it needs some antifreeze in there. And the bow of snake sprayers in the kitchen. Again, don't ask me how I know.
Steve
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:11:09 -0800, "Steve B"

So how do you ice-proof the sprayer?
Again,

wrote

It disconnects on both end. The first year, I took the head off, and left the hose hanging down to floor level. This year, I blew air through it backwards. You ice proof the sprayer by removing all water from it.
Steve
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 14:38:57 -0800, "Steve B"

I didnt' know the head came off. Thanks.

If the sprayer hose is removed, doesn't water come spraying out?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Probably varies with brands.
Steve
Unless the drains were clogged, why would there be any water in them?
CY: The drains would only have waer, if they were horizontal runs.
And what little is left in the traps would have plenty of room for expansion.
CY: I think I remember hearing of traps cracking. The ice expands sideways.
What you need to do is shut off the main water supply valve, and then drain as much water as you can from the supply pipes by turning on ALL the taps, especially the one in the laundry sink (in the basement), if there is a tap down there.
CY: Yes, there is a laundry sink. I'm also concerned the water pipes may have low spots or horizontal runs. Might not be able to get there with my generator and compressor.
Why is the power off? Reasons beyond the owner's control, or what?
CY: I'm not totally sure. the house is unoccupied, and beyond that I'm not sure.

OK. I didn't realize we were talking about incorrectly installed pipes. My bad.

Just shut off the water and then rent a movie, fer cryin' out loud. :-)

When water freezes it is solid and not compressible and will expand in all directions. What normally happens is that continued freezing and thawing expands the pipe a little each time until eventually it breaks.
Anything that lowers the freezing point of water will help.
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 09:21:41 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Plus a tap on the top floor to let air in so it drains out the bottom as well as possible.

This seems unwise, viz. denies power to lamps and burglar/ fire alarms. Many insurance carriers deny coverage when electricity is shut off. Canadian houses empty for a week to several months in winter usually maintain elec. connections and set furnace heat at 45 to 50 deg. Fahr., with an alarm to report if the electricity should fail.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm hoping you bought RV type antifreeze and not automobile type. You don't want to flush auto stuff down the drains to contaminate the water supply.

He specifically said it was RV antifreeze.

Red Green wrote:

OK, OK, I see it! Gawd, please help me read more betterer.

It's just your turn Tony :-) That's neeeeever happened to me.
Tony wrote:

the drains don't go to the water supply. duh.
Sewage processing plants have to dump the water some where. Oddly enough, things (like antibiotics, and medications) have made the full circle from sewer back to domestic water. Which is why the old "flush pills down the toilet" is poor advice. Much better they should be wrapped in several layers of plastic bag, and put in the trash.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus