Anti-tip necessary for stove?

Page 1 of 2
Moved into a new construction house, and find the anti-tip bracket sitting around in the kitchen. Isn't it "code" or something to always install this?
jeffc wrote:

Other than the admonition that all appliances are to be installed according to the manufacturers instructions, their is no code that specifically addresses the anti-tip bracket.
At least none that I can find. That anti-tip bracket is there to protect the manufacturer and their insurance companies more than anyone else. If you have small children, I would probably put it on, since you have it.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

this?
Come on aren't we humans smart enough to know that tipping a stove is stupid, dangerous, stupid oh I said that already. I have pictures of when I was a kid where there is a open gas hot water heater next to my high chair. Right there in the kitchen. I would hope that you have the intelligence to train any human less than driving age that tipping a stove is.............. see above.
When I sold my last house this year that was one of the dings that the Home infector found. (spelling intentional). I laughed, and ignored it.
If I lived in earth quake country I would consider one on a gas stove. Not on electric.
Check the stove. If you pull out a rack and put a 20lb turkey on it, does it become unstable? Mine does. I installed the bracket

I always install mine. It only takes 2 minutes and the peace of mind is well worth it.
Most stoves are pretty light and flimsy. Try opening the door and push down on it-- my stove tips real easy without the anti-tip bracket.
It is easy to install and prevents potentially a great deal of heartache.
On Sun 12 Jun 2005 08:48:28p, Oscar_Lives wrote in alt.home.repair:

I agree, it's a good idea to install it. A roaster with a 25 pound turkey set on the open oven door could easily cause the range to tip.
--
Wayne Boatwright **

What I worried about is the possibility of the stove rusting into the bracket, making it impossible to remove at a later date. My concern is based on replacing two old appliances that were leaving piles of rust underneath. The front leg of the stove fell off when we tried to move it to do some work on the wall.
Curly Sue wrote:

Since I didn't know any stoves had anti-tip brackets, I certainly don't know what the bracket looks like. However, it is easy to get around your concern. Depending on the stove the top of the stove at the back is a higher ledge, shelf, or other structure. All you need to do is make or have made a 3/4" - 1" thick trim board that you screw into the studs and fits snug above the stove.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:52:41 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
<snip>

<snip>
See page 4
http://www.maytag.com/cust_serv/pdf_installation_manual/8101p571-60.pdf
DJ
DJ wrote:

Thanks, it doesn't much look like rust would be a problem.

This is Turtle.
Let me paint you a picture here. You have your kids and / or some kids of friends come over for a get together and you just cooking some stuff on the stover and the kid pulls the oven door down to stand on it to see what is cooking on the stove. he stands on it and all the boiling water and food pours on him and then your off to the State Burn clinic for work on skin graphing for the next 10 years or so + the pain the kid will put up with because it was a little trouble putting a Anti-Tip device on your stove.
If this happen at your home, the cost will run sometimes to about $500K or better in insurance cost and do you have enough insurance to cover it if it happens ? If you don't have the coverage, I would install the bracket.
TURTLE

As Turtle mentioned, there's a reason why it is required by code. It's an obvious safety issue.
When we built our house, that was one of the first things the inspector checked for during our final inspection. I'm surprised your house passed inspection with the bracket just "sitting around".
Anthony

You're missing the point. The point is not whether I think the bracket is a good idea. The question is whether or not I should call the builder and hassle him to install it, or I should take my precious time to do it.

That's your call. It'll take about 15 minutes to install the bracket (including the time to get out / put away the tools). IMHO, you'll be out more time than that "hassling" the builder and waiting for him (or one of his subs) to show up and install the flippin' bracket.

You make no mention of this in your original post which you quote above.
And you probably could have installed the bracket in the time it took to post about whether or not the bracket was required by code :-).
--
Luke
jeffc wrote:

Does the builder realize how this oversight can endanger THE CHILDREN? The dear CHILDREN! THE CHILDREN who are our future!
"It happened so fast. My son, who is an HONOR STUDENT and Cub Scout, was trying to help me in the kitchen when all of a sudden the oven tipped forward and crashed right down over him! How can homebuilders be so careless to design a home like t his? Don't they have children themselves?"
Never pass up an opportunity to annoy, give ulcers, or get cash. I'd insist the builder pay for a thorough check of the whole house an independent inspector because after all, who knows what other oversights they may have made that could endanger THE CHILDREN? But I'd settle for $50.

This is Turtle.
The picture I painted for you should have told you that it should be on there at any cost.
If you was asking us on the internet weither you or the builder should fix it. hey, we don't know your skill levels or we could have told you right off.
Now first i would take a few minutes to see if i could do it and if not. I would call the builder to come install it. Now I have a feeling that it will not get put on so don't worry for there is over 52 Shriner's Children Burn hospitals over the 50 states which will treat the kids that get burned this away for free. any child under the age of 18 will be treated free of charge for any Being Burned , accident , heart transplant, or defect of any kind. The two biggest problems with children now a days is being burned or Phyical defects when being born. The Babys being born to Crack Mother and having the child with physical defects is growing almost as fast as children are being burned, but burned children is still number 1 problem with children.
TURTLE

I have the skill level. The specific question I was asking was "Isn't it "code" or something to always install this?". The builder is coming back to fix certain things, and I'd like to know from you guys first - if he tells me installing this bracket is "optional", I want to be confident when I tell him he's full of crap. The bracket will be installed one way or another. I'm gather info for our conversation. Some other things were not done correctly, and I'm wondering if this is one of them.

On Tue 14 Jun 2005 06:30:51p, jeffc wrote in alt.home.repair:

Whether it's code or not depends on where you live. If the builder is coming back for other things, I doubt he'd put up an argument if you simply said you'd really like the bracket installed. I doubt it would take him more than 5 minutes. The bracket came with the stove with the intention of it being installed. I doubt the builder will put up an argument.
--
Wayne Boatwright **