Anti-Rollerblader

Page 1 of 2
Not really a home repair question, so if anyone has a better suggestion, I'm open to it.
A client wants me to put somethng on a concrete curb to keep the rollerbladers from using it to practice. I found one company on the web - Champion - that can supply me with some but they will take a while to get here. Any suggestions for another company or better yet, a way to find them locally (Bay Area, CA)?
--
charles

Charles Bishop wrote:

Any welding / fab shop should be able to fabricate some suitable bolt on stainless pieces to do the job. For that matter, the solution could be as simple as nailing on short lengths of ~3/4"x3/4"x1/8" stainless or galvanized angle with a powder actuated tool.
Pete C.
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.netttt (Charles Bishop) wrote in
net:

Razor wire.
Charles,
You could apply an epoxy with a heavy grit non skid like 30 mesh. That would defet the problem. My shop is in Anahiem, if you email me with a contact # I can probably hook you up with something. Is it just a standard curb? If so, how much linear feet are you looking to cover?
Steve snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
Charles Bishop wrote:

Rollerbladers??? Could you explain why they are causing a nuisance to begin with? It might just me be, but typically they are rolling on past at a pretty fast clip, gone before they're noticed more often than not. Now skateboaders I can see, but not rollerbladers.

Bladers and boarders like to grind along a curb, railing or suitable structure. The wears down the curb and can cause spalling, and also damage the paint. The owners of the property wish to discourage this.
--
charles

Well I can understand why you would want to stop it, I guess I've never seen a rollerblader do that. Doesn't mean they don't just that I'd never seen that
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:10:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.netttt (Charles Bishop) wrote:

A deep pattern stamped concrete surface (fake stone) is very roller blade/board unfriendly but still alliows wheel chair access (another consideration). It gets down to wheel size. A lot of shopping malls use this strategy for the "plaza" areas.
Charles Bishop wrote:

One way would be to put some grooves parallel to the curb and sized just right to grab and chew up a rollerblade wheel. Make sure to put up a sign "warning, grooved pavement". If you can do them all the way across the road you ou can even justify them as improving drainage so as to reduce the risk of cars hydroplaning.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Thanks,
I've saved your post and when I get back from vacation, I'll let you know. It's not much, maybe 50' total around several planters. The problem is, they want the usual metal pieces and I have to ask if the grit would work. I can do that when I get back.
charles
I know they make anti slip tape for stairs. THis might be a way to temporarily try out the grit idea. If you find it removed you could take that as a yes it works. On second thought, it might not stick to concrete too well.

Charles Bishop wrote:

Large mean dog.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Charles Bishop wrote:

Before you start, I would recommend you make sure the curb isn't in the public right of way. I'm not sure the local government would like a private citizen making their curbs all lumpy.
-Nathan
Can't you just put a few screws into the concrete?
The stuff wont be smooth anymore and will not be suitable.
You could just dump sand a gravel on the area. You could even eqoxy it down so it cant be moved.
Rollerbladers and rocks/sand dont mix well.
Tom
Charles Bishop wrote:

The device I found on the net looks like a round ball headed bolt you set into the curb. Seems to me there would be some liability issues if a skateboarder were to hit one of those, not suspecting they were there and get hurt in a fall. I don't think it's wise to booby trap what is essentially an "attractive nuisance" so that a trespasser gets hurt. And if the curb is at street level where pedestrians walk on or over it, they could easily trip on one. Now, I'm over 60 so I've never rode one of those contraptions and never bought one for my kids, either...just so you know I'm not defending the skateboards. In fact, I've always had the fantasy that it was legal to shoot skateboarders, graffiti artists, etc. and leave the body lying around for a week or two as a deterrent to others....note..I did say fantasy, only.
Tom

Falling is an expected hazard. As long as it's not an impalement risk.

True, but in our courts today, if there is a hint that the curb was changed just to foil the skating, you'd probably lose.

I'm guessing not, since these things are all over the place now. Many business/park/plaza with concrete structures suitable for boarding or blading have them. I think there are some at city hall.
--
chrles

how about installing some threaded anchors..then screwing carriage bolts in the anchors to make bumps without an impalement hazard?
Charles Bishop wrote:

Whatever you do, it must NOT be for the primary purpose of harming people who have a lawful right to do what they're doing.
Your modification can be decorative or functional, however, with the downside of "discouraging" roller-bladers.
Bolt-on garden gnomes and Burma-shave signs come to mind.