Ant bait formula?

I was following the carpenter ant thread and it had a link to a sugar ant bait. Anyone got a similar "grease" ant bait? The nats that are bothering me don't eat sugar. It looks like the bait they reference is about 12:1 sugar to boric acid.

Not sure if this applies, but for pavement ants I found the best thing is a piece of saltine cracker. They love starch but ignore sugar. How I figured this out is one time, one of the kids had dropped a frosted animal cracker behind the couch. Well, when we moved the couch some time later to clean the carpet, the cookie was gone but the frosting was still there! It was kinda creepy. It looked like the skeletal remains of an animal cracker!!
On 22 Aug 2004 04:12:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:
:) I was following the carpenter ant thread and it had a link to a sugar ant bait. :) Anyone got a similar "grease" ant bait? :) The nats that are bothering me don't eat sugar. :) It looks like the bait they reference is about 12:1 sugar to boric acid.
You might post a description of the ants... there is a tiny ant that has a reddish tint known as Pharaoh ant in which the Maxforce stations were developed for. Combat stations are the public version of Maxforce that came on the market a few years after the Maxforce product but it has a different attractant. Maxforce's attractant was crushed silk worm, and I believe Combats matrix is a liver paste. Soaking the Combat can make the baits more attractant at times. There is a small dark ant that if you crush them with a finger the sniff you will detect a perfume smell called an Odorous House Ants. This ant, like many other common ants will have a varied diet sometimes sugars sometimes proteins (grease) but probably can be traced to a nest outside rather than living in the walls. So it can be hit and miss trying to figure what they will eat and what may work last week might not work next week. Another option is to figure out how much time and money you have spent already and might spend in the future and hire a ant treatment that will take care of them for the year.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
(Greg) wrote:

grease w/boric acid (about 25%). Place the mix in short sections of soda straws and place in ant trails. In about 3-4 days ants are gone and so is nest.
I like Liquid Ant Bait from www.gardensalive
Works well for me.
--

Christopher A. Young