Answer, Refrigerator Kenmore Not working

Page 1 of 3
I have a Sears Kenmore Elite, approximately 2001 model, side by side, refrigerator that stopped cooling. I'm a common consumer that is fairly handy, but I called a sears repair man to come fix it because I just didn't want to deal with it.
I noticed a puddle of water about 3 feet in diameter on the floor in the front of my fridge. I could hear the freezer running but there was no cool air blowing in the freezer or fridge. I think the water on the floor was the food melting, but I'm not completely sure. Anyway, the freezer and fridge were no longer working.
When I first brought my refrigerator home a few years ago, I had to take the molding off of the cabinets and ram it in its spot against the wall. It was a very tight fit. I figured I'd never get it out of there in one piece and feared the day I had to paint the wall or have to fix a broken fridge. Besides, I've wrecked a floor at my last house pulling a fridge out from the wall. For this reason alone I justified calling a repairman.
The sears repair man was in his 50s and kind of grumpy. He had my fridge out in the middle of the floor by himself in less than a minute by just grabbing the front of the fridge low and pulling. I was impressed. Within 2 minutes he diagnosed the problem as being the relay switch part#(2204307) and gave me an estimate of $215 for part and Labor. As always, I asked if its any cheaper if I pay cash to see if I could get a break. The repair man said, "Sears doesn't care how you pay."
After he closed the work order and packed everything up I asked him if the defrosting coil should be as hot as it is? If you don't know what this is, its the heating coil that warms the casing of the freezer where the door meets. It heats up to prevent frost from forming. The wall that separates the fridge from the freezer was getting so hot that you couldn't touch it for more than 2 seconds without having to pull your hand away. This has been happening for last 6 months or so. Everything I read on the subject said either this is normal or that I should keep my coils clean. The repair man, Jim, said "it's probably the fan". He pulled my refrigerator out again and saw that the fan wasn't running. He said the fans don't run constantly but if the unit is running the fan should be running too. He checked to see if there was any obstruction in the fan blade, but here wasn't. It turned out to be a bad fan motor part2206036. The fridge ran great after that.
He said the relay switch probably died because it got too hot from the fan not working. He charged me another $96 for the part and said there won't be an extra charge for the labor. It took him 10 minutes to change the relay and at most 20 to change the fan motor. Total bill was about $310. The relay looked very easy to replace, just a matter of unplugging wires from the old and putting on the new. You'd have to remove the access panel from the back of the fridge, of course. Same with the fan motor only you have to swap the fan blade from the old to the new motor.
I must say, I'm very pleased with the service Sear's gave me. The man was very knowledgeable and fast.
Thinking back, I do remember an occasional faint burning smell in the kitchen for about a week or two before this all happen.
Three weeks later I get a call from Sears asking if I want to purchase a warrantee for my fridge. 3 years $250, 2 years $175 and 1 year $96.
Anyway, I'm hoping someone will learn from this post just as I have from many other post. Please take the time after your next repair on anything to post what you've learned. Its a small price to pay for such a great benefit to someone else.
~TD
You didn't get ripped off, and I'm glad that you were happy with your service. IME, good service from sears is rare to nonexistent.
Also, I have a Kenmore side by side that uses that same relay. When it went out, I went looking and found prices similar to what you were charged. I couldn't believe someone would charge $200 for a stinkin relay.... so I kept looking, and this is how I met repairclinic... who had the relay for a cost of $55.
TD wrote:

Did you keep the old relay? My suspicious mind says that the fan motor was the part that failed, and that you got had by a grumpy, incompetent service guy.
I don't think the fan motor stopping would keep his fridge from getting cold.... also the relay in question sits right on the compressor. The way I knew mine was bad was I could hear the insides rattling around after I took it off... an autopsy revealed that it had melted completely.

Wrong, this is the condenser fan motor. Not only does this fan condense the refrigerant back to a liquid form, it also cools the compressor. Therefore, the compressor heats up to the point that the thermal overload opens. (Compressor shuts down) Compressor cools down, thermal over load closes and compressor starts again. This process is repeated over and over again until one of two things happen. (1) you notice the fridge is warm and call a technician in time. Or, the overload permanently opens or the start components fail which includes a relay. I am dismayed that the technician did not find the bad fan motor first.
Barry Thermal Products Solutions
I understand the part about cooling the compressor, but how does it condense refrigerant? On my side by side, the fan simply blows over the compressor, and there are no other parts anywhere near the fan.

On larger side by side fridges there is a heat exchanger in front of the fan. (I don't know about specific brands) The air is pulled across the heat exchanger. Thus cooling the high pressure high temperature gaseous refrigerant. As the gas cools, it changes back to a liquid, and it is ready to start the process all over again. On a smaller dommestic refer this is accomplished by the black wire thingy (HO Term) on the back or bottom of the refrigerator. This is also why it is important to keep this area clean. Anyway, yes a bad condensor/compressor cooling fan can cause a start relay to eat itself.
Barry
Thermal Product Solutions
Whew! I've def. learned something form this: I need to raise our rates! <grin>
God bless,
Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA www.DavesRepair.com snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com 570-363-2404
Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!) www.DavesRepair.com
John 3:3

I was thinking the same thing. I did a lookup on Sears web page. The relay (probably a Gemline or Supco) came up $52.99, and the fan motor (probably a 2 watt clockwise unit motor) was $74.99. The gentleman who posted got the "installed price" of course.
As I do some appliance repair, I get these parts wholesale, and I do replace start relays and condensor fan motors now and again. If folks will pay the Sears prices, I'm just too darn cheap for my own good.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have never seen a relay for a refrigerator compressor that costs $250 ever.
Well man, I don't know what to tell ya; I'm not making this shit up.
The part number was 1105046, for model 106.8590581. Go look it up.... not available from sears. It used to list the price at $175 - $200, even though it wasn't available.
I called a few places with the part #... everyone quoted $200 or more. Finally found it on repairclinic for $50 or so.

I'm not doubting that you were getting those quotes. I did take your advice and look up that model at Sears. It is available.
Relay, 2261636 (2204307) $52.99
And like I said, the part # I gave _USED_ to be listed between $175 - $200 at sears.com.

I believe you.
You also said "Go look it up.... not available from sears."
How long you wanna keep this up, you grumpy old bastard? I have all day.
The part # I LISTED (1105046) is still NOT AVAILABLE. An alternate, the one you listed IS AVAILABLE.

I don't think I'm the grumpy one here. I think the problem is that your communication skills leave a lot to be desired. The one that USED to be listed, I doubt that it had a price of $175-$200. I bet there was only one price and you just can't recall what it was. No problem, reading you just takes a little getting USED to.
Have a nice weekend.
No, you are just grumpy... and you don't read or comprehend very well.
You have a nice weekend as well.
Matt wrote:

No need for the squabble, boys. History is online.
http://tinyurl.com/6udpp
Thanks travis. I was looking for that....