Another wiring question

Rewiring an old house to put more plug ins etc. Fishing wire down the walls to the basement. Now I have a bunch of wires I want to put on a few circuits. I want to run wires from breakers to a large junction box, then tie the wires together in there that will go to each circuit. As long as I don't go over the boxes rating for wires, can more than one circuit be served by one box? Or should I have a separate box for each circuit?
I did a net search for this and only found one post where a fellow said it was ok if you put a warning on the box cover that it is served by more than one breaker.
I want this to be to code.
TIA Gary
seems wise nonetheless...
randy

No need for a warning (assuming NEC).
Bud--
gary wrote:

just as a side note, whenever i have to get into something, i write the breaker number on the inside of the plate. makes it easy later.
randy

Also found one fellow who said he was an electrician and said that all power to that junction box must be killed by the flipping of a breaker. So it could only service a maximum of two breakers that were tied together.

Nope. An outlet fed with 2 hots needs a common disconnect, not a junction box. (I've seen a lot of these and never seen one labeled.)
Bud--
gary wrote:

walls
than
The amount of time and expense compared with the cost of the wire, it might be easier to run all of the wires back to the panel. I believe you should consider professional help on the lay out. Might save you a lot of money and headaches later

I don't need professional help with a layout. I have a code book and they give circuit runs for a sample house. I don't think you under stand what I am doing. I am running wires from the upper floor and attic to the basement to put new wires in for plugs, light switches and ceiling lights. Often it is MUCH easier to run a wire from each box right to the basement and then tie wires together and then run one wire every so often as dependent on what one circuit will draw back to the breaker box. I do this because to have to run a wire to the basement from a box and then back up to the next box and then back down, would probably more than double the time it is taking me to drop a wire each time. I am connecting the wires in accessible metal boxes with less wire and marrets than the code allows and covering with a metal plates. No headaches - I just wanted to know if I can run more than one circuit in a junction box as my code book does not address it. From the responses it seems like it is allowed, but I think I will use one box for one circuit. I know what I did, but the next homeowner will not.

You should install a sub-panel in the upper floor.
Get an electrician to do the job-- you sound way over your head.

What did he say that would lead you to believe either of these things. It sounds to me like he knows EXACTLY what he is doing and is making wise decisions.
gary wrote: ...

If you label them (which you'll almost have to do anyway or pull and connect them separately) then you'll plus anyone else can tell at any time....as long as you have large enough boxes for the number of wires, sounds fine.
Thx all it is going well!

Code doesn't specify, but your local jurisdiction may have an interpretation that does. The NEC doesn't require a warning, but it's not a bad idea. I'd label the box with the breaker numbers. But personally, I'd use one box per circuit anyway.
Jeff
Small boxes are cheap. Use a separate box for each circuit. It's normal to make the junctions at a light or wall receptacle, by running the wire farther out. Don't forget a new owner or a tenant won't be aware of your wiring tricks. He'll think flipping one breaker will make him safe.
JohnK
Thx John, that is what I decided to do, just made up my list for Home Depot tomorrow.

gary wrote:

Depot
OK then, and remember junction boxes are not allowed to be closed in, covered up in any way, which is why inspectors don't like them, especially in an unfinished area, where the temptation will be to drywall right over them later on. Eventual corrosion of the wire ends is probably the concern there. So it is always best to pull more wire through and go to an outlet, where your junctions will always be accessible. Cheers.
JohnK
JK wrote:

No reason you can't, as long as all the connections are properly contained within wiring boxes and the expected loads are within the current capability of the breaker/wire size, which it sounds like they should easily be.
(Don't forget the ground leads.)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
If I remeber correctly, your power supply is a transformer? Check the capacity of the power supply and make sure it can handle the load(lights). I'm assuming the lights are all the same voltage rating.

JK wrote:

Maybe a little better description. What lights are being controlled by what switch(s)? Where is this new wire going exactly. From what to what? Are you planning for a ground wire?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit