Another wind-chill question.

Page 1 of 2
Suppose it gets down to absolute zero tonight and I go outside and it's very windy. With the wind-chill factor would it then "feel like" -10 degrees below absolute zero?
I better wear my long underwear just in case....

Luckily, there won't be any wind chill at absolute zero.

Should I picture you with long underwear beneath your clothing, or you just standing there in longjohns?
Cindy Hamilton

On 01/21/2014 03:26 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Actually I don't wear them, I can usually handle the cold OK

You don't need long underwear, you just need this:
http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/34068.gif
On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 21:32:49 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

At absolute zero how will I get it out of the bottle?
Outer space is apparantly a pretty strange place.
Physicists theorize that in the vaccuum of outer space, energy pops into existance from nothing, and then pops back again... ...into nothing.
"Dark matter" is the invisible and undetectable matter physicists theorize must exist in order to explain the amount of gravity there is in our universe. One of the most promising ideas to explain "dark matter" is that it doesn't exist at all. It's just that there are multiple universes, and gravity from the other galaxies superimposes on our own gravity. That is, gravity waves superimpose just like every other kind of wave.
If you're in an artificially lit parking lot at night, the amount of illumination at any point on the ground is more than that caused by the closest lamp alone. The contribution from the more distant lights adds together to allow for better illumination than would be provided by the closest light by itself. In the same way, gravity from other universes may be causing our universe to expand more slowly than it otherwise would, and cause our galaxy to rotate more rapidly than it otherwise would.
The world around us is comprehensible. Everything smaller than an atom and bigger than the universe is incomprehensible.
--
nestork

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:48:46 PM UTC-6, nestork wrote:

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep--th/9409089
philo wrote:

Absolute zero is -459 F (-273 C, 0 Kelvin). You'd be frozen solid in seconds no matter how many pairs of long underwear you have on.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 01/21/2014 04:53 PM, willshak wrote:

No need to go out then, my car probably won't start anyway.
On 1/21/2014 6:09 PM, philo wrote:

Might, if you had deep space blended gasoline.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/21/2014 06:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's right, I almost forgot...I have a 6000 gallon tank in my back yard!
On 1/22/2014 6:25 AM, philo wrote:

But, the class need to know if it's stabilized?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:53:39 PM UTC-6, willshak wrote:

It's never been achieved but we've come close..."Certain gases have been cooled to about one nanoKelvin, or about one one-billionth of a degree above absolute zero".
On 01/21/2014 05:11 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

Prolly you shouldn't stick your tongue on it.
On 1/21/2014 6:11 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

But, did the pipes freeze? That's what I want to know.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Neat. My husband has worked with liquid helium, but that was at a searing 4 kelvin.
Cindy Hamilton

On 1/21/2014 3:50 PM, philo wrote:

You'd probably see me trying to buy bails of straw or hey to put around my treiler.
All this joking and Kelvin around.... I'd have to know if your underwear are dry or wet. Depends.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/21/2014 05:45 PM, David L. Martel wrote:

Not necessary when it's freezing out.