Another Whirlpool Agitator Question

I looked inside my washing machine and noted that the agitator was moving slightly but not at the normal speed. I checked and the lower part of the agitator is working fine, but the top part is only slight moving. The machine is 12 yrs. old and everything else is perking right along except for that darn agitator! Is this something that I can try and fix myself or would it require special tools and heavy lifting?
This is a Whirlpool washing machine and the only identifying numbers I see under the lid are Stylemaster 4213632 Rev. B
I appreciate any help and assistance.
Sounds very like you need to replace the "dogs", four little nylon pieces that drive the top part of the agitator around. Fairly simple job, you'll need a 7/16" socket plus an extension.
Where do you get the "dogs", how much should they cost and do they come with instructions? I could possibly handle this with instructions as long as I don't have to "walk" the machine out of its spot wedged against the dryer to do it.

Remove the top of the agitator. The part you need will cost about $10. You friendly local appliance repair shop salesperson will be able to help you, and give you instructions on how to replace it. It is an easy job.
On 3 Nov 2004 07:49:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mypet) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mypet) wrote in message

Hi,
That appears to be a part# to something....but it is not a model# :(

Worn agitator drive dogs can prevent the top 1/2 of the agitator from working properly.
http://www.applianceaid.com/direct.html#agitating
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N109 Agitator directional cogs (dog ears), 4 per package.
jeff Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Ok...I found the model #! I was looking on the lid...not on the lip UNDER the lid. The model of my Whirlpool Washing Machine is LA5500XT.
There is no parts dealer in my little town. Is there an online source for these worn out nylon dogs in the agitator?
On 4 Nov 2004 09:44:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mypet) wrote:

Try here... http://www.repairclinic.com
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mypet) wrote in message

Hi,
I found LA5500XTW0 LA5500XTW1 LA5500XTF0 LA5500XTF1 LA5500XTG0 LA5500XTG1 LA5500XTM0 LA5500XTM1 LA5500XTN0 LA5500XTN1
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N109 Agitator directional cogs (dog ears), 4 per package
These may help as well.....
http://www.applianceaid.com/direct.html#agitating http://www.applianceaid.com/generalwash.html#agitator
jeff wrote:

Might those last 2 digits be appliance color codes?

Hi,
Sorry, I missed the orig post on this, but I stock lots of the DA agitator dogs, at $7.50 plus the Priority Mail - if you still need any.
Here's an article that'll help you with installation: http://www.DavesRepair.com/DIYhelp/DIY285770.htm
God bless,
Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA www.DavesRepair.com snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com 570-363-2404
Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!) www.DavesRepair.com
Acts 4:12

They are a change of some sort...when a change was made during production ( trim, new part, colour change, screw loaction, ect ) the model# is changed. When looking for a part or any information, the full model# is best :)