Another Water Heater Option

Thanks to all who answered my question about tankless electric water heater s. I think I'll stick with an oil-fired unit. I got an estimate for two opt ions; I can replace the free-standing oil-fired unit for about $4,100, inst alled, or I can get an indirect water heater which runs off the oil boiler as a separate heat zone from the house radiators for about $4,900. I'll get a couple more estimates before making a decision, of course.

The indirect unit would reduce maintenance costs since I'd only have one bu rner going, but it would probably wear out the burner a year or so earlier from the increased usage. The free-standing unit is cheaper and will probab ly last 10-12 years, by which time I'll probably be in a rest home, while t he indirect unit should last much longer.

Any thoughts on indirect units? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

tankless electric water heaters. I think I'll stick with an oil-fired unit. I got an estimate for two options; I can replace the free-standing oil-fired unit for about $4,100, installed, or I can get an indirect water heater which runs off the oil boiler as a separate heat zone from the house radiators for about $4,900. I'll get a couple more estimates before making a decision, of course.

since I'd only have one burner going, but it would probably wear out the burner a year or so earlier from the increased usage. The free-standing unit is cheaper and will probably last 10-12 years, by which time I'll probably be in a rest home, while the indirect unit should last much longer.

advance for any advice.

Can't see it from here, but you may be able to get a propane WH, and a tank of propane outdoors. That might be much cheaper.

I've helped install a couple indirect heaters, not an expert by any means.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ers. I think I'll stick with an oil-fired unit. I got an estimate for two o ptions; I can replace the free-standing oil-fired unit for about $4,100, in stalled, or I can get an indirect water heater which runs off the oil boile r as a separate heat zone from the house radiators for about $4,900. I'll g et a couple more estimates before making a decision, of course.

burner going, but it would probably wear out the burner a year or so earlie r from the increased usage. The free-standing unit is cheaper and will prob ably last 10-12 years, by which time I'll probably be in a rest home, while the indirect unit should last much longer.

What's wrong with an electric tank type? I should be $3000 less than either of those options. IDK the current operating costs of an oil fired heater vs electric, but now that oil has gone up a lot, I think electric probably isn't too much different in operating cost. Also, I'd check with the elecric company and find out if they have any special rates available for water heaters. Some places have had separate meters so that the WH only runs at night and gets a reduced rate. With smart metering that is rolling out, same idea applies.

Reply to
trader_4

Oil fired standalone water heaters tend to be very solidly built and long lasting. Indirect fired water heaters are good if you have a long heating season where you live, otherwise they will tend to have more standby losses than a standalone unit during the summer non-heating season.

Reply to
Pete C.

At over $ 4000 to install a water heater, I sure would look into the cost of a standard electrical tank type water heater. At the price of oil, I bet it would be much cheaper to operate now. Surely he could get a water heater installed for under $ 1000 and not too much to run the electrical wire.

It would take a lot of hot water to make up that $ 2000 differance even if oil was cheaper.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have and really like an indirect unit. That said, my install was part of a boiler replacement, not an add on. The price you were quoted seems high to me. What you are buying is a tank, heat exchanger, zone valve, aquastat and labor.

My suggestion. If the existing boiler is over 20 years old, replace everything and have a very efficient unit. I mentioned the System

2000 before and it has been great. The cost of everything is covered by the savings in oil so it is well worth the price.

If the existing boiler is fairly new and efficient, I'd consider going to electric if you have the power for it. You will need a 240 circuit of at least 30A or 40A. I'm not sure of which.

BTW, with my unit, yhou can stay in she shower forever and have plenty of hot water. My grandson has proven that to be true, right up tot he time I turned the hot water off.

.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Heh.