ANOTHER WATER HEATER MYSTERY

I have an electric water heater in an unheated basement.
The water runs through about 20 feet of 1/2" copper pipe before it gets to my kitchen sink faucet.
Here's my mystery;
The HOT water is a lot hotter in the summertime.
Now, I know that the waterheater/thermostat doesn't care whether its summer or winter....... and the temp in the tank is probably constant.
Is there be that much ( winter ) heat loss in 20 feet of copper pipe ?
Just curious. <rj>
Also, there is the fact that your cold water inlet is much warmer in the summer. So if you use to a specific setting of cold/hot mix, the water will overall seem much hotter in the summer.
wrote in message:

Sorry to rain on the parade but unless the basement is open to the outside, the temp from summer to winter won't change very much, not enough to noticeably effect the heat loss through the pipe. Also, the incoming water supply will be the same temp winter/summer and the temp of water into the tank has -no- effect on how hot the water gets in the tank. IMO Jim has it right, it is only a incorrect subjective impression. If it truely does vary, there will be some other explanation than temperature variation in the basement or water supply.
Harry K
On 8 Jul 2003 22:22:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Harry K) wrote:

already, this would have no affect on the temp in the tank.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Harry K) wrote in message

<snip> " Also, the

Harry, I've actually checked my water temp at the tap using a thermometer and it gets down to about 55 degrees in winter and 65+ in late summer. This is in the Detroit area, which might have more variation than other systems.
in the midwest our city water goes to 35 in winter an 65 in summer. I also turn down my water heater in summer, my pipes, basement and house are warmer in summer