Another use for a chainsaw

As a bayonet.
If your AR-15 is not scary-looking enough, you can get this snap-on attachment.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f &t@2350
Goalie mask optional.

What model AR-15 should I get before January? I have a limited budget.
I'll opt-out for the mask and saw.

Don't matter. Stock up before they ban ALL of it.
Steve, who does not think this is a ludicrous idea any more.

But what model AR-15? I have some money under the mattress and want to spend it wisely. Limited, but I want the best bang for my money.

If you have to ask, you wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.
Oren wrote:

That's easy: Get an AR15 "Lower" (about $185). Here's why:
1. There's a (hidden)federal tax on firearms and works much like a VAT. By federal law, the "lower" is considered the firearm itself - it's the part with the serial number. So, you pay the 7.5% tax on only the smallest part. You can then finish out the weapon with non-taxable parts. If, however, you buy a complete weapon, you'll pay the tax on an $1800 rifle.
2. With only the "lower," you can mix and match the remaining parts - top quality, low quality, domestic, foreign, cast, milled, steel, magnesium alloy, whatever, various options (like folding stock, collapsing stock, etc.) at your leisure.
I suspect, if the new administration does anything, they'll ban high-capacity magazines first because it's easier to define what constitutes a high-capacity magazine. So, I'd put those high on my list.
Aside: Invitation: Visit the "tx.guns" newsgroup. Interesting discussions on the laws, usage, and other items connected with crime.
An AK-47 is usually less sensitive to ammo quality than an AR-15 - less expensive to shoot.

Just a citizen . . . wrote:

I agree. I've got one. You can fill it with mud and it'll still work - field-strip it in ten seconds. An AK47 can be had for $200.
But some people insist on "buying American..."