Another Space Heater Question - Oil Filled

I have a very old, high powered floor fan that has a hard time getting started. It spins freely when spun by hand, but often - not always - needs a little nudge to get running at full speed. It starts, but it turns really slow until I nudge the blade.

As I said, with the motor off it spins freely, so I don't think it's a bearing issue in my case.

Once it's up to speed it can dry a pair of newly washed pair of jeans in less than a hour. It swivels from 45 degrees downward to 180 degrees up. We often put it under the clothesline in the basement, point it straight up and dry clothes that we need quickly but don't want to put in the dryer.

There's no safety screen and I imagine that at top speed it would do some serious damage to a body part.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Like I told a fellow, if I didn't like you, I wouldn't tease you. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Does the fan motor have a hump on it with a capacitor inside it? If so, the capacitor may be in need of replacement and it's not expensive. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Bad run capacitor, most likely.

.

I have a very old, high powered floor fan that has a hard time getting started. It spins freely when spun by hand, but often - not always - needs a little nudge to get running at full speed. It starts, but it turns really slow until I nudge the blade.

As I said, with the motor off it spins freely, so I don't think it's a bearing issue in my case.

Once it's up to speed it can dry a pair of newly washed pair of jeans in less than a hour. It swivels from 45 degrees downward to 180 degrees up. We often put it under the clothesline in the basement, point it straight up and dry clothes that we need quickly but don't want to put in the dryer.

There's no safety screen and I imagine that at top speed it would do some serious damage to a body part.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
57 lines of quoted text, to tell us you were trying to backspace, and save two typed characters? I think your sense of proportion needs a bit of thought.

Christ3> 4>

5> 6> 7> 8> 9> > The Dar11> >>> "The Daring Dufas" wrote in message 12> >>>news:k93vpl$kru$ snipped-for-privacy@d14> >>>>> 15> 16> >>>>>> 18> 19> >>>>>>> Picture an oil filled space heater no thermostat switched to the 15KW 20> >>>>>>> setting. 21> 22> >>>>>>> Picture it in a closed room with no thermostat in a house that is kept 23> >>>>>>> at 68 F by a thermostat in another room. Assume that the heat from the 24> >>>>>>> space heater does not reach the thermostat. 25> 26> >>>>>>> Now picture the space heater sitting outside on a 35 F day. 27> 28> >>>>>>> Does it use the same amount of electricity in both situations? 29> >>>>>> Yes - IF the heater has no thermostat - BUT, a 1500 watt heater, oil 30> >>>>>> filled or not, could soon become dangerously overheated. The oil 31> >>>>>> filled units HAVE an internal non-adjustable thermostat that limits 32> >>>>>> the temperature to a safe level. 33> >>>>> and a 15000 watt unit even MORE dangerous - if it existed as an oil 34> >>>>> filled space heater. 35> 36> >>>> Perhaps there are some industrial units that big for some sort of heat 37> >>>> curing or drying process? I could see a 15kw oil filled heater in an 38> >>>> environmental test chamber for various items. ^_^ 39> 40> >>> Or you could just get ten 1.5 kW units.... :) 41> 42> >> 15kw electric heat is not unusual to add to a central AC system if there 43> >> is no NG or propane available for a furnace but it runs on 240 volts ac. 44> >> You won't be able to use that Christmas tree light extension cord. O_o 45> 46> >> TDD 47> 48> > You would need a big breaker. I have a 4500 watt garage heater on a 30 amp 49> > breaker. I don't know, but every fan blown heater i use starts out blowing 50> > real slow, then speeds up. 51> 52> > Greg 53> 54> We've actually sort of teasing Derby Dad because he wrote about a 15kw 55> oil heater when I really believe he meant to write 1.5kw oil heater. ^_^ 56> 57> TDD-

...and I accept the teasing as deserved.

I orginally typed 1500W, then edited it to make it shorter (15KW) when in reality 1.5KW has the same number of characters as 1500W, so I was just wasting time anyway.

Regardless, I got the answer that I expected, along with some extra added info, also as expected, especially from this group.

Thanks!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And how much quoted text?

.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Like I told a fellow, if I didn't like you, I wouldn't tease you. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In many cases they are DESIGNED to start slowly rather than blowing COLD air around. Generally they are an impedence protected shaded pole motor with not enough starting torque to pull the blade up to speed quickly - particularly if the voltage is reduced due to the heavy current draw of the cold heater.

Reply to
clare

Most likely a "shaded pole" motor of some sort. Very low starting torque - and generally impedence protected so it won't seriously overheat if running in slip for a prolonged period.

Reply to
clare

A lot of ceiling fans I've worked on have small run capacitors. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas
[snip]

I used to know someone who had a heat pump with backup heat like that. It meant really high electric bills in the winter.

I have seem the opposite, 240V outlet connected as 2 circuits to Christmas lights. I might have had to do that if I hadn't changed to mostly LED lights.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My heat pump has 10 kw of electric heat. As this is in the middle of North Carolina I doubt it has ever came on. Atleast in the 6 years that I have had it the electric bill seems normal. Not too much differance in the winter heating or summer AC. There is a reasonable drop for a couple of months when it is not too hot or cold.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If you have a super insulated home, you could heat it with a candle. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas