another shed project question

I have my shed almost finished.....I poured slab, then one row of concrete blocks, and then built shed....It rained quite a bit last night and I noticed some wetness at the mortar joint between slab and concrete blocks in a couple of places along one wall only. the top of the slab is at least 4 inches above grade. I guess water is passing through mortar.......Do I need to seal mortar joints somehow? any advise appreciated...

Reply to
cheapdave

Brush a couple of coats of cementitious waterproofing, such as Thoroseal, on the outside of the block and lapping it onto the concrete. It comes in gray/grey and white.

How much of a roof overhang do you have on the shed?

RicodJour

The roof overhang is about 10 inches.

Reply to
cheapdave

Block walls are not waterproof. You can trowel stucco over it or you can paint it with a sealer.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's reasonable for a shed. I was asking because I've seen quite a few sheds where there is no overhang and the lower parts of the building take a bigger beating from the weather over the years - they rot more quickly.

RicodJour

There are products specifically for concrete. I used a white sealer that contains both rubber and concrete to paint my basement poured walls. Either at Lowes or Borg. For cracks there is a caulk specific for concrete.

Reply to
Phisherman

and use the products on the OUTSIDE not the inside. don't want moisture trapped inside the block.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Does that stuff stay flexible? I'm still having a problem with water going under the block and mud and into the crawl space slab under the house. Hydraulic Cement didn't work after a couple warm/cold cycles.

Reply to
Tony