Another Roofing Question

I am about to have my first-ever experience with a roofer. Just FYI, the fellow has a good reputation/gets good marks in the local Consumer Checkbook survey on roofers.

My question concerns the weight of the asphalt felt to be used under the new shingles. (This will not be a shingle-over job).

He suggests 15-pound felt in his estimate, but I'd prefer 30-pound. I recognize it's going to cost me more, but I'm willing to pay for it.

Are there any circumstances when someone would NOT want the heavier weight felt???

Many thanks, again Bob

Reply to
Seeker

Nope. You could even go to 43# or for really long life, use an inorganic base such as GAF's Shingle-Mate product.

Travis Jordan

If it's a low pitch, or won't recieve any real traffic before the roof is laid. The 30 lb. is excellent for footing on steeper roofs, whereas the 15 will easily tear away, sending the roofer(s) flying. Unless it's stipulated in the building code of your particular area, you shouldn't need felt, unless your insulation and ventilation aren't up to snuff. Flame on! Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Travis/Tom -

Thanks so much for responding and for your advice on this subject.

Cheers, Bob

Reply to
Seeker

Consumer Checkbook? Yee ha , he paid to get in it. Get refrences and go to your local court house and see if he has any litigations against him. I found out to late and hired a guy that has 8 judgements against him. I got a judgement to but [ wooppie] everything even the Mercedes is in the wifes name, thursday I go back to squeeze a stone, Also get a copy of his insurance , liability and workers comp not from him but his broker. And taking out a permit gets you a free , unbiased inspection. You pay after the inspection, and release of lien. Be sure of a lisence to.

Reply to
m Ransley