Another Replacement Window Question

Is it customary to install a replacement window directly into a rough opening, and if so are there any gotcha's I should watch for. I am removing a picture window and replacing it with a triple mulled double hung unit. The window is 12 feet off the ground so I would like to forgo the staging etc and install from the inside in the easiest manner possible. Thanks in advance JRE
Also what about the sill if installing a replacement directly into the Rough Opening. I suppose I would have to install a new sill as it is part of the existing window.
<< Is it customary to install a replacement window directly into a rough opening, >>
<< are there any gotcha's I should watch for. >>
Precise fit is essential. Make sure your rough opening is square, plumb and level. Rip out and replace any marginal framing. Get a copy of the the window installation instructions and commit it to memory. Buy several tubes of DAP latex foam to fill the gaps. Buy sheet metal flashing.
<< The window is 12 feet off the ground >>
You would be well advised to 1) rent a scaffolding and 2) get a friend to help you. Large windows are absolutely not a simple inside job. Some instructions call for leaving the sash in the frame to prevent frame twisting or corner breakage.
<< install from the inside in the easiest manner possible >>
Obviously, installation from the inside may not be the easiest. HTH
Joe

removing
The
Staging is cheap and easy. Takes a bit of time, but saves those gotchas. Go for the staging. Have people inside and out. You will be happier than trying to wrestle a window from a ladder 12 feet off the ground.
You would think it would come with detailed instructions for flashing, etc. If not and if it has a nailing edge you might want to go to Pella's window site and follow the instructions for their windows or sliding glass doors. Very detailed.

removing
The
Exactly what is "staging" please ??
Thanks !!