Another Replacement Window Question

Is it customary to install a replacement window directly into a rough opening, and if so are there any gotcha's I should watch for. I am removing a picture window and replacing it with a triple mulled double hung unit. The window is 12 feet off the ground so I would like to forgo the staging etc and install from the inside in the easiest manner possible. Thanks in advance JRE

Reply to
Mastermech

Also what about the sill if installing a replacement directly into the Rough Opening. I suppose I would have to install a new sill as it is part of the existing window.

Reply to
Mastermech

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Staging is cheap and easy. Takes a bit of time, but saves those gotchas. Go for the staging. Have people inside and out. You will be happier than trying to wrestle a window from a ladder 12 feet off the ground.

Reply to
SQLit

You would think it would come with detailed instructions for flashing, etc. If not and if it has a nailing edge you might want to go to Pella's window site and follow the instructions for their windows or sliding glass doors. Very detailed.

Reply to
Art

Exactly what is "staging" please ??

Thanks !!