Another old furnace question

After the last response I guess I'm taking my chances on getting an answer to this one- but what the heck.

Forced air 119,00 BTU Nat gas furnace Bryant-BDP-Carrier type Mod # 397HAW036100 Prod # 397HAW036100-ACBA old - as in 1984 installation - new main control board two or three years back.

Problem- Noticed today that it is doing some rapid uneven cycling. Burner on for anything from 1 second to 2 minutes, Off for 30 seconds to 2 minutes until pilot re-ignites, then 20 to 40 seconds to start of next burn. Worse on start up from no run periods and gets somewhat better as it cycles a few times though never evens out - even when thermostat jumped to constant call. Eliminated limit and exhaust purge switches as problem Burners clean with good even blue green flame Air flow and filters clean and clear I'm guessing it must be in boards or main valve, but would like to know if I'm missing anything adjustable or minor replace (main board over $100) before I make major decision.

Also noticed occasionally (once every eight or nine starts) takes up to 10 igniter "sparks" for pilot to stay on though normally only takes 1 to 3 "sparks".

The cycling problem is burner only- the exhaust purge fan and the blower continue to run. Thermostat checks okay "blower delay time" adjustment advanced and retarded slightly with no effect on this problem.

Getting by as is for now (still heating house okay) but uneasy about odd (I think) cycling Any ideas?

Thanking in advance for any comments. BTW- if it matters I worked for heating and plumbing contractor years ago running black pipe gas lines etc.and have installed several new furnaces on my own and done regular maintenance on my own for years. Probably end up getting new soon anyway, but always try to learn as I go.

-Dan

Reply to
Dan Hall

Not to be a smartass, but if you worked for a company, they didnt teach you about flame sensors?

Oh..wait..it was a plumbing company....nevermind...:)

Reply to
steve

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote in message news:aSSqd.376$ snipped-for-privacy@eagle.america.net...

Well it was a longg time ago! But I checked the schematic and there is no flame sensor listed. There is a thermocouple that is heated by the pilot flame. It seems okay- gets a little red on the tip and furnace fires from the pilot after the purge cycle is going. I have checked and replaced flame sensors in gas clothes driers before- so I know what they look like and how they operate. Am I still missing something? Thanks -Dan

Reply to
Dan Hall

So you was a Hack and still are. Your efficiency is reduced maybe 50 % by the short cycling crap , Now Do we have to say what to do next, , Like when you leave the toilet you Wipe your

Reply to
m Ransley
041129 2338 - Steve@carolinabreezehvac posted:

Hey, you gotta know your shit to be a Master Plummer...

Reply to
indago

As in picking fruit?

Reply to