Another mold question

We just bought our house a year ago and the previous owners put up a wallpaper trim on the top of the bathroom walls, including over the shower area. The bathroom for some reason doesn't have an exhaust fan so we got a dehumidifier, but the wallpaper trim is starting to show dark spots, which I suspect are mold. Would it be worthwhile to try and bleach the wallpaper as a temporary solution? The bathroom is probably going to be remodelled in a few months. Or should we rip down the trim as soon as possible?

Stacia

Reply to
Stacia

I suspect the former owner had a persistent mold problem and used wall paper to cover it up for the sale as it was visually more effective than clean and repaint. It will better to remove the wallpaper and hopefully dry out the wall as much as possible before your remodelling. If you can check behind the drywall for hidden moisture damage.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Just use your normal method of cleaning and add a little bleach to the wash solution. If you are remodeling in a few months, it isn't worth a lot of bother now. If you like doing bothersome work, it might help keep humidity down to squeegee shower stall and take out damp towels .. I'm not that ambitious.

Reply to
Norminn

check the attic for roof water leak stains. also, carefully: using a hole saw drill attachment drill a hole in the problem area and have a look inside the wall cavity with a bright small flashlight and inexpensive small pocket mirror.

Reply to
buffalobill

If it was me I would go ahead an remove the wallpaper there are several methods. If the trim is in the way then remove it as well. When the remodel occurs be sure to have an exhaust fan installed and make sure it is vented directly outside an not into the attic.

Reply to
Lawrence

Whatever you decide to do temporarily, when you remodel be sure to install a top quality exhaust fan with a decent exterior vent pipe and dampers, then get rid of as much of the present drywall in the bathroom as you can and replace it with mold resistant drywall. Mold has been known to grow on ordinary drywall compounds in the past, so using a settimg type compound might be best. Treating the exposed studs and other accessible areas with a mold killing solution should be considered before the drywall goes up. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Sounds like mildew, but then not a mold expert. Here is some good info:

tom @

Just Joshin

Thanks for all the advice guys. We're definitely going to get an exhaust fan installed when the remodelling happens. I have no clue why none was installed originally, because the bathroom wall is right next to the kitchen wall, and very close to the kitchen exhaust. I hope the wallpaper spots are just mildew and not mold, but I've got a bad feeling about it. The previous owners may very well have been trying to hide mold, and I'm a little irked that the inspector didn't find it (he didn't find the rotten wood drawer in the bathroom vanity, either).

Stacia

Reply to
Stacia

snipped-for-privacy@xmission.com (Stacia) wrote in news:erh4jd$ei$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xmission.com:

A few of points:

  • Don't hook the bathroom fan to the existing kitchen duct. It will blow the moist air into the kitchen. Each fan needs its own ducting, unless you put in complicated baffles.
  • Check the warranty from your inspector. His insurance might cover the things he missed.
  • Check with your real estate agent about the mold. If the previous owner purposely hid defects, he might be on the hook to fix them.
Reply to
Steve