another government designed gas can rant

Bought a new 2 gallon gas can as my old government designed can had a cut, leaky seal. New can looks same as the old can but they added child type safety cap to spout where you have to squeeze and twist. Took a pair of pliers for me to open. Fortunately I found what tabs to cut off to defeat it in the future. These cans spill more gas than the old ones. Now this.
Damn the EPA.
On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 12:33:41 -0400, Frank wrote:

What brand did you buy? Did you complain to their customer support representative?
In my past phone conversations with Pat Moyer at the now-defunct Blitz (918-540-1515 & 877-922-5489, pmoyer at blitzusa com), I was told they were given stringent requirements that the gasoline stay *in* the can.
Point is: There was no requirement to let the gas *out*.
In more recent conversations with CARB (800-242-4450), and specifically with Angus at 916-445-4686, I was told that all states must meet the CARB requirements for the gasoline to stay *in*, and only six companies have met those requirements.
But again, there is no similar requirement that the gasoline come *out*.
I've come to conclude that the real issue is for us (yes, you, me, Oren, DD_BobK, Trader4, Attila, SMS, Stormin, Nestork, GFretwell, Ed Paw, Daring Dufas, Dan E, Kurt U, etc.) to request that there be a spec for usability.
Yes, it's "our" fault that there is no spec for usability! (Actually, it's their fault; but it's our fault for letting them get away with it.).
I don't know whom to write, but, if you guys do ... please publish the contact information of whom to call or write or email to request that there be a similar spec for the gas to come *out* of the can gracefully.
On 6/5/2013 11:33 AM, Frank wrote:

Bless OSHA, for they have provided an escape clause.
Do not shop for a 'gas can'. Instead, you want to purchase an 'OSHA-approved metal safety container'. They're exempt from the EPA and CARB regs. Yeah, you'll pay more, but you'll get a quality can that actually pours like it should.
Example:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 14:11:42 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Nice can ... but ... expensive: * List Price:     $122.78 * Price:     $63.98 & FREE Shipping
I need about 10 5-gallon gasoline cans. How do you think that round can stacks up against the Nato-style Jerry cans such as these?
$40 http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Nato-Jerry-Cans.html
BTW, these $55 Amazon Nato-like cans "say" they're CARB compliant. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Does that mean they stink?

If you're not here in the Peoples Republic of Calif, there's no reason to try to find CARB or AQMD approved cans. They are only concerned with hydrocarbons in the local air. The weather conditions here are ideal for creating smog and gas fumes are the number one ingredient. I still think these type of new cans is not the way to go. I got an electric mower several years ago and couldn't be happier and if I need gasoline, I just siphon it from the gas tank into any old jug I have laying around. Always good to have a nice pair of jugs around, eh? LOL!!

concerned with hydrocarbons in the local air. The weather conditions here are ideal for creating smog and gas fumes are the number one ingredient. I still think these type of new cans is not the way to go. I got an electric mower several years ago and couldn't be happier and if I need gasoline, I just siphon it from the gas tank into any old jug I have laying around. Always good to have a nice pair of jugs around, eh? LOL!!
Right or wrong, there are all kinds of rules and laws that are (or should be) universally ignored and can't be enforced....
1. You can't give the mailman an unstamped greeting card unless you hand it to him. 2. The mailman can't drop a thank you note on your doorstep without a stamp on it. 3. You technically can't park in a metered space without paying, even if there is time still left on the meter in most big cities. 4. You can't chew gum anywhere in Singapore. 5. You can't yell at anyone - that's technically assault or abuse. 6. You can't make a video on public property without a permit.
However, you can collect things for old time sake.... google: collectible gas can
On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 21:25:30 -0700, Guv Bob wrote:

requirements. I didn't doublecheck that statement but it was told to me by Angus in Sacramento at 916-445-4686.

for how the gasoline gets *out* of the can, in addition to the existing stringent requirements for how the gas stays *in*.

Out here on the Pacific Coast, there's so much wind, smog doesn't stick around.

I thought all modern cars did? What kind of car do you have that doesn't?
On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 15:35:11 -0700, Bob F wrote:

They elected me spokesman! :)
PS: Actually No. They didn't elect me. So I was just speaking for myself, on the Pacific Coast. Sorry for the mis-identification.
It just burns me up that I can't burn wood, for example, on those spare-the-air days; yet it's as windy as the top of Mount Everest for me on some of those days because I face the ocean winds. They make no correction for location sometimes.
So, sorry for being overly expansive on my comments.
I'll bow out on the topic.

Don't bow out, Danny. Your posts are some of the best!
If you're west of LA, there's not much smog. The wind during the day is mostly from the west and carries the HC from the refineries and NO from freeway. About 2-3pm, anywhere east of LA is smoggy. Not nearly as bad as in the 60's and 70's, but still can be bad.

First time I entered the LA basin, I got hit with the ozoney smell. I remember it well. Never had that particular smell elsewhere. Kind of miss it.
Greg

It was real nasty years ago. Still if you leave a tool in a shed exposed to ambient air, it will rust in no time.

Ford, Mitsubishi & Toyota. I've never seen any car you can't siphon gas from the tank. You might have to use a tube with small OD.

I like those funny looking gas pump gizmos, and I still get gas all over the place when I hang up.
Greg

Think I found your problem. Have an adult help you.
On 6/5/2013 5:37 PM, Jerry wrote:

I'm older but don't think even my adult sons could have gotten this cap off without pliers.
On 6/5/13 12:33 PM, Frank wrote:

http://ezpourspout.com/wp/ez-pour-products/all-products/hi-flow-spout/
If the above isn't sold in your state, this one probably is: http://ezpourspout.com/wp/order/order-water-spout/
Same product, just molded in a different color.
I have an old 2.5 gallon plastic gas can that originally had a flexible rubber spout. Over time, the seal on the inside of the spout wore down, and the thing leaked when I tried to pour with it. The "water spout" above fixed the problem.
They're available at Tractor Supply (no financial interest, other than that I bought one there). They come with 2 caps, one _might_ fit the can you currently have.

I was looking for a really long neck. These foolish generators have the filler cap in the middle where you end up spilling gas before you get there.
Greg
On 6/5/2013 8:51 PM, John Albert wrote:

I had looked around for spouts but none were there. Might have bought one but they are nearly price if a new can. Hardware store mentioned some of the metal cans but they were pricey.