Another garage door opener question

I'm trying to understand just what happens when you "learn" the opener remotes. I also have a three button built in remote in my vehicle. I'm trying to figure out (without experimenting) if the remote "learns" from the head unit, or does the head unit "learn" the remote. What I'm trying to accomplish (if possible) is to "learn" the same button to two or more garage doors. (not in the same location).

thank for any input.

Reply to
Steve Barker

With any GDO system I've seen, the remotes transmit only and the receiver at the house receives only. Initially, the receiver doesn't know which transmitters it should obey and which ones on the same frequency it should ignore. So there's some method of making the receiver "learn" the codes transmitted by exactly the set of remotes you want to work.

Your car might be a special case, in that it may support a bunch of different garage door manufacturers, with the ability to "learn" the code structure from one of the dedicated remotes for that door. Learning remotes can both receive and transmit.

What you want to do might be made to work if both of the garage doors can actually be operated from the same dedicated remote. That would work if they're both from the same manufacturer and if the remote transmits the same code every time. Both door receivers need to be trained for the same transmitter. On the other hand, if the transmitter changes the code it transmits every button push, this isn't going to work.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale