Another Flooring Question

Greetings all!

I've just pulled up all the 1950's style flooring from my living room and want to lay a laminate floor down in it's place. Pardon my ''newbie-ness'', but my question is I've got some pretty intricate moldings around the doors and entrance-ways of my living room (ridges and scallops) and it's pretty much impossible to cut the laminate precisely to fit around these moldings. I'm not really wanting to remove the moldings before I put down the floor as this house has lathe & plaster walls....past experience has taught me to leave moldings alone!! Any suggestions on how I could fill those gaps between molding and flooring without it looking horrible??

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
BigManRestless

It's not impossible. Try harder. Make a pattern with paper. Or bite the bullet and undercut the molding so the new flooring can go underneath it.

Reply to
mbrooks

"BigManRestless" wrote in message news:GbFzd.9758$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

My condolences.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When you lay down laminate floors it comes with spacers to put down along the walls . When the floor is completely down you pull the spacers out. This allows for expansion and contraction . Then buy a 1/4 round moulding and install that over the space. You can get from the supplier so it will match the floor.

pat.

Reply to
Pat

----------- Yep, an undercut saw will do the best job. You might be able to rent one. Here's what it looks like:

Abe

I think a lot of people use quarter rounds to cover that, personally I don't like quarter rounds, but it may work for you.

walls....past

Reply to
orangetrader

------------- He's already got full baseboard and moulding he wants to keep. Adding another piece of molding would look clunky at best. His best solution is to undercut the existing molding, or remove and reattach the existing molding, which he doesn't want to do.

Reply to
Abe

I am I correctly assuming it was hardwood flooring? if so, why tear ii up? that stuff is great

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob K 207

Nope...actually, there were 3 layers of sub-flooring and three layers of assorted vinyl, the last being this brittle yellow vinyl stuff. The original tongue and groove floor covering the floor joists has too many cuts and holes in it to warrant a restoration.

Thanks to all for the suggestion of using an undercut saw! Never knew such an item existed!

Thanks again!

Reply to
BigManRestless

Thanks to Abe and others who post useful information. Not otherwise involved in this thread. While I've seen 'undercut saw' mentioned on this news group, never having seen one had only a vague idea. So, again, I learned something. Thanks for your post and the info. Terry.

Reply to
Terry

Don't restore the floor. Just sand and varnish. You'll have a "distressed" floor that has CHARACTER!

I've seen people take new, "nude," furniture, beat it with a bicycle chain, attack it with a propane torch, drive and pull nails, then stain and finish the abused result.

Reply to
JerryMouse