Another drywall case settled

"A federal judge has awarded more than $164,000 to a family whose home was ruined by Chinese-made drywall.

"Tuesday's ruling by U.S. District Judge Eldon Fallon comes less than a month after he awarded $2.6 million to seven Virginia families. Fallon's earlier decision was the first for a batch of federal lawsuits over drywall-tainted homes.

"Fallon presided over a trial without a jury for the case brought by the Hernandez family of Mandeville, La.

"He ruled all drywall must be removed and the home needs to gutted. He also agreed that electrical wiring, plumbing components, the heating and air conditioning system and appliances must be replaced. "

HeyBub

Earlier threads questioned who would pay for the repair. The article appears to say it is the manufacturer, Knauf Plasterboard Tianjin Co. Knauf appears to be a German company and Tianjin is a city in China.

A Wall Street Journal article has some information on "who pays"

"A Chinese drywall maker [Knauf] said it is negotiating with U.S. home builders to settle claims that the company supplied them with a faulty product.

"Builders have been hit by a rash of lawsuits from homeowners, who complain that defective drywall imported from China during the housing boom is generating sulfurous odors and in some case causing health problems. The home builders, under pressure to replace the drywall, are suing the makers and other parties to cover their costs.

"Some lawyers and industry experts question whether Chinese companies could be forced to pay up, even in the event of an adverse legal outcome. But the move by the drywall maker, Knauf Plasterboard Tianjin Co. Ltd.?known as KPT for short?indicates that at least one company is willing to negotiate.

"Earlier this month, seven Virginia families were awarded $2.6 million in a court judgment against another Chinese drywall maker. The award averages more than $385,000 her homeowner. Some believe the actual cost to solve the problem is much lower.

"The defective drywall, also known as gypsum board, was imported from China from about 2004 until 2007 to fill a shortage during the housing boom. A growing number of homeowners?there have been more than 3,000 reports in 37 states and other areas?complain that it generates sulfurous odors and corrosion that tarnishes metals and causes appliances such as air-conditioners to fail. Some owners complain of ailments, from headaches to itchy skin.

"As the drywall cases wind though the courts, some builders are picking up the repair tab. Lennar Corp. has set aside nearly $81 million to repair about 750 homes in Florida, according to securities filings. It seeks reimbursement from parties including subcontractors and insurers. Lennar declined to comment."

Reply to
bud--

This might include renting another place to live while the repairs are being made, and maybe other costs I haven't thought of, in addition to the actual repair cost.

OTOH you say they same judge only gave 164K to the owners of another house. Maybe it's a smaller house, or he got more information and would be ready to lower the judgments for the other 7.

Reply to
mm

All I can say is THANK GOD none of it made it's way up here to Maine considering the THOUSANDS of sheets I and the company's I subbed from installed during the boom.."There but by the grace of God go I''...I'm glad the Chicom companies are stepping up and the homeowners are getting their homes fixed...

Reply to
benick