Another Disastified American Home Shield Customer

In case anyone is researching home warranty companies, beware of AHS. I had the pipe that carries the freon from my A/C to the furnace fail at the beginning of summer. After sending out two repair companies that did their diagnosis over the course of the summer, they refused to cover it. Rather than spend hours on the phone debating this with them, I have a complaint into the California Department of Insurance.
Does anyone know of any reputable home warranty companies?
LuAnne

"reputable home warranty companies" oxymoron, or double negative
Reading the fine print before buying makes a big difference. I quit using them a long time ago, after doing work for AHS. Put the money aside that you would pay for the policy and you will be head in most situations.

This topic has been covered many times here in the past. To be blunt, there are no reputable home warranty companies (although the companies will tell you differently). It's well known among educated consumers that it's *very* rare to have a positive experience with home warranties. I'm suprised you fell for it in the first place. You did do research and become an educated consumer first, didn't you? Then again, I guess these companies survive somehow.
Put the money you'd spend on the insurance in the bank, in a separate account. You'll come out ahead in the long run, and have repairs/replacements that you're happy with.

An even better link with 111 complaints about AHS: http://ripoffreport.com/results.asp?q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search%21&q5=American+Home+Shield&submit=Search

Better idea yet......
Go buy yourself some lottery tickets !!!
--
SVL

I forgot to add: See: http://ripoffreport.com/results.asp?searchtype=1&q1 7&q3=&q2=&submit2=Search%21

This is Turtle.
They don't make reliable Home appliance insurance companys and only come in Crook form these days.
Look Have a Lawyer talk to them right now and try to get what you can out of them before they drop you and loose your policy.
TURTLE
Turtle, The money you spend on lawyers would be better spent elsewhere. Having a crook go after another crook is a waste of money.
Stretch

this is Turtle.
AHS usely will make a offer if the get a letter from a peer member of the Royle order of Crooks.
TURTLE
yea as others have said, its a waste of money. But lets be clear, you have a contract that very clearly says what is covered and what is not. The pipe or the problem with it was not covered. (As is the case with most things). I do not think you have the right to complain unless there is a true breach of contract which is unlikely.
Yea, you can vent here about getting screwed but CDI, BBB or others wont do any good.
Sorry

Does CDI even deal with home warranty companies? I thought they only delt with auto & homeowners fire/flood/quake insurance? As others have said home warranty is not worth it. Even paying the per trip service fees on a couple of calls will put you out more than its worth. Kevin

A home warranty is not a state regulated insurance product. So the OP will not get any joy from the insurance commissioner.

There is no such thing. If the people are competent businessmen, you loose money because otherwise, THEY loose money. If they're not competent businessmen, you will still loose money, and be dealing with incompetents into the bargin. If you just don't want to be bothered with it, find someone who does property management for rental properties. You'll still ludicrously overpay, but at least you'll get what you're overpaying for.
--goedjn
Goedjn wrote:

Well hey, loosing money is better than losing it...

companies, beware of AHS.

to the furnace fail

two repair companies

summer, they refused

phone debating this with

Department of Insurance.

companies?
The company I work for won't do work for AHS. A couple that we will work for are AON and Cross-Country. So far AON has been the better of the 2 as far as getting approval and paying claims. I don't know how they are with the homeowner.