Another Bathroom Tile layout question

Suppose my two long walls are just under 10' (115.5" to be exact).

My tile is 10" wide. That means I can fit 11 full tiles + another 1/2. What is the rule? Should I do it that way or should I do 10 full tiles and a cut tile on each end (7.5" on one side and 7.5" on the other)? Of course, there will be a small graut line (probably 1/16") so, there would be a 1/2 of graut total on the wall.

How about floor to ceiling? 8 ' = 96". Tiles are 14" high. I can fit 6 full tiles and have 10" left over. And there will be a 2.5" listello around the 5.5' high mark.

Any input will be greatfly appreciated. I want to be armed with some knowledge when the next installer attempts to do this.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

You shift it all over so you use 10 full tiles plus 3/4 of a tile width on each end.

You can always make the cut tiles at least 1/2 full width.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

the rule? Should I do

one side and 7.5" on

there would be a 1/2 of

tiles and have 10" left

when the next

You use smaller designer tile all around all 4 sides.

Reply to
DK

So, cut tile shouuld not be cut less than 1/2 width? Is that the gerneral rule?

Reply to
Tony

the rule? Should I do

one side and 7.5" on

there would be a 1/2 of

tiles and have 10" left

when the next

Typically on a blank wall the installation would begin centering full tiles in the middle and running both directions to make an even cut on each end. With other obstacles, consideration for them needs to be made and it may make more sense to follow them rather than the larger wall itself. Every situation is different and needs adjustment for the circumstances.

As I posted in the previous thread on the subject, Fine Homebuilding had a nice article in it's Winter Baths & Kitchen volume with a couple of examples discussed/illustrated that covered the basics quite nicely. Look for the article on their web site -- I don't recall link to FH, but you can start at

and follow the links...

Reply to
dpb

Yes. Subject to other constraints in the design. You want to minimize small pieces.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

What would you do in this case

The back wall is 5' and is where the bathtub is. I am able to fit 6 10(W)x14(H) tiles prefectly but unfortunately, there is a window that makes that difficult because it is about

11" from the right. So, if I were to use 6 full tiles across, there will be a 1" sliver to the right of the window, which I do not want.

The other option is to start in the middle and put a half tile on each end. How do you think that would look?

Tony

Reply to
Tony

10(W)x14(H) tiles prefectly but
11" from the right.

right of the window,

How do you think that

I reiterate -- go look at the article I've po The other answer is to draw out sample layouts to visual how it will look...that really should have been the first step before you ever even bought the material once you decided on the tile. Then you can supply the mechanic an installation plan that does detail the basics. He'll have to make minor adjustments for out-of-plumb/square/level, but the overall plan should be adequate to avoid the previous kinds of foo-pahs you described.

That kind of detail is, of course, what you get if you hire the professionals who _really_ know what they're doing to begin with instead of trying on the cheap...

Reply to
dpb

Well, I know big tile is in style right now, but unless it's a really big bathroom, these tile are way too big to begin with IMO to look much good.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I'd tend to agree, but certainly a plan of how to install would go a long way to answering it...

Reply to
dpb

In addition to the other replies here don't forget to fill your bath before tiling. If you fix tiles over an empty bath, when you eventually fill it the bottom tiles may come away or the grout will crack.

Reply to
Aardvark