Another attic insulation question

I need to put insulation in an attic which has none.

I plan to buy the 23" wide bats and lay them between the attic joists. These bats are Kraft paper faced on one side.

Which side should go on the bottom?

Any discussion, pointers, or alternative approaches using batts is welcome. Only batts are under consideration.

Thanks,

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

Paper down. Before that, make sure there are _no_ gaps allowing airflow from down below. Including along tops of walls below. There are many ways to seal them.

Then make sure the insulation covers fully.

For summer, especially in TX, attic ventilation would be a Good Thing for you.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Just use unfaced and you won't even have to think about it. The paper is not going to do you any good anyway, since you are just laying it between the joists. Why pay for something that you don't even need?

If you avoid the borgs and go to a insulation supplier, you can get rolls of the stuff. Roll out what you need in the bay, cut, move to next bay and continue rolling. No joints, except at the end of the roll.

Reply to
Robert Allison

You may want to consider having loose cellulose blown in there. It's cheaper, and has more "R" per inch. and it will go everywhere you can't get the fiberglass.

is just one supplier.

steve barker

Reply to
Steve Barker

Hi, Not that one. Moisture will render it useless. Blown in fiberglass. After laying vapor barrier. Also ensure venting from soffit to roof top has to be maintained.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Not that one" what?

what cho talkin' bout willis?

Steve Barker

Idiot. Read the original post.

Reply to
Abe

The OP said only batts were under consideration. He didn't say he had a religious commitment to that position.

And he didn't say he didn't want to hear about other things.

Reply to
mm

Ok, idiot, i've re-read the op. What'd i say that was inaccurate?

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

He said he was only considering batts. His mind was already made up on that. But for some reason you found yoursaelf incapable of responding within that framework.

Reply to
Abe

He did not say it that way. Here's a quote of the OP.

========================

I need to put insulation in an attic which has none.

I plan to buy the 23" wide bats and lay them between the attic joists. These bats are Kraft paper faced on one side.

Which side should go on the bottom?

Any discussion, pointers, or alternative approaches using batts is welcome. Only batts are under consideration.

Thanks,

Andy in Eureka, Texas ===========================

Nothing in that indicates that he is closed off to doing the job properly. He may not know about blowing the good stuff in there himself or having it done.

over and OUT

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker