animal noise above first floor of 2-story home

Hello all, We live in a 2-story home with an attic here in Georgia. Typically, this time of year, we used to hear noises coming from the attic due to rats/squirrels getting in the openings.

Nowadays, though, I'm also hearing noises coming from above the first floor. It seems like some animals have gotten in above the first floor.

My question is: how can they get in? and are there gaps/openings for them to get in ? What is in between floors?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I just need to be knowledgeable on the house. Looking at it from the outside, it's not obvious.

Any links to good house diagrams diagrams appreciated...

And is there a solution to preventing this?

Thank you!

Reply to
ap

I had flying squirrels come in a 1" hole up under eaves, and above the gutters you could not see from the ground, that would go out about

9pm, they walked around in my living room and bedroom ceiling on a 1st floor of a 2 story. Animals get in the smallest holes anywhere. You didnt look hard enough.
Reply to
ransley

Hi, You mean rat? Yuch! I live in rat free country. Animals ad critters can come thru any cracks, gaps, openning no matter how small it is. Your house seems porous as far as animals are concerned.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

*There are plenty of openings between levels due to plumbing pipes and heating ducts passing through floors and walls. Your plumbing vent stack probably goes through the attic and may not be sealed around it. As others have said, rodents don't require much clearance to get in. Your best bet is to get an exterminator and ask him for suggestions on preventative measures. Get rid of them soon as they tend to chew on wiring and such which can cause more headaches not to mention the mess and odor that they leave behind. I would not suggest that you put some poison out as you don't want a rotting corpse in your ceiling.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Solution is getting animals out and sealing all openings. Patch any holes they have dug into house and put screens in ventilation openings. I know bats and mice can easily get through a quarter inch opening.

As others suggest, poison is not a good option as rotting corpse can cause problems. Cost my son ~$1,000 to seal openings and remove dead squirrel. Squirrel had gotten caught near chimney and died and house filled with smell and maggots and required a chimney guy and a siding guy to fix.

Reply to
Frank

I had a racoon in the attic once. It was not about to leave without a fight. I know better than to fight a full grown racoon. Solution....I put a light and radio just inside the door and left it for a couple of days. Result....no more racoon and I was then able to seal off the entry point. Don't know if it will work with other animals but it won't cost anything to give it a try.

Good luck Clint

Reply to
clint

Hello, how did you do this? You hung a radio on the attic door facing the ceiling?. Our attic has a door on the ceiling of the second floor and the attic is fairly large. Is there any radio/light combo out there in the market that does this?

Thank you!

Reply to
ap

You would go spend money for that, instead of using a light and a radio! You must buy alot of junk.

Reply to
ransley

Good idea.

I doubt it to face the ceiling. Sounds seems to fill a room. I doubt it has to hang on the attic door.

Reply to
mm

I also heard/read that strobe light is not appreciated buy those animals and will drive them out.

Reply to
Esche

Although with some, it pronotes dancing.

Reply to
mm