Angle Grinders ?

Page 2 of 2

do
belt
What I might suggest next time you need to trim the bottom of a door is to clamp a straight edge to the door and use that to guide the skill saw. Also be sure to paint the bottom of the door you just cut. A coat of primer works fine. The idea here is to keep the end grain sealed to prevent door swell.
--

Roger Shoaf

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:58:15 -0800, Roger Shoaf wrote:

I prefer a router (with a strait edge clamped, as you suggest) for trimming doors. If need be I'll chamfer the edges slightly to clean 'em up.

If the door was sealed to begin with. Mine are simply stained and not sealed. :-(
--
Keith

I have used an angle grinder with wire wheel attachment for removing paint from metal. Nothing else works faster. Yes, the wheels are disposable and you need to stop using them once the strands of wire start coming off.
I normally don't recommend cheap tools, but here goes anyway...
Four years ago - in a pinch - I bought a 4in angle grinder from Harbor Freight for around $19. I subsequently used this tool to do a huge amount of metal cutting on an old Mercedes I restored. This job entailed hour upon hour of cutting, sanding, and wire wheel work using that little rascal. Since then, I've used the same tool for scores of jobs including cutting all the rebar for the foundation of a house we're now building. Like the Energizer Bunny, this thing just keeps on going. It hasn't even burned through the original set of brushes, but HF tossed in an extra set to cover that eventuality. This is one tool no shop should be without. Be careful though, it's an easy one to get hurt with. I heard of a guy setting one down on the bench while it was still spinning, only to have it whip around and slice open his gut. Thrown debris and exploding cut-off wheels are also par for the course - wear goggles or a mask and work gloves. Richard Johnson PE Camano Island, WA
On 11 Jan 2005 13:50:09 -0800, "Rich-out-West"

At work I just received a safety report that I think came from the Australia version of OSHA on a fatal accident with an angle grinder. The accident was still under investigation according to the report. Apparently an individual was using the grinder with a wheel (not sure of type) that was not designed for the grinder. The result was the wheel exploded and pieces penetrated the individuals chest and abdomen, killing him. He apparently was also either not using the gaurd or was using in improperly.
Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+ http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn /
sears has a 6.5 amp 4 to 9 inch right angle grinder for $24.99 http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid911510000 (that's more amps than my 5.0 amp makita 4" angle grinder that cost $60)

James Nipper wrote:

there any

After I got my battery powered drill I never use a screwdriver anymore. After I got my 4 1/2" angle grinder I never use a hacksaw or file anymore. Both are great labor saving tools that you wonder how you ever done without.
Bob S.