Angle grinder for cutting wood

Page 4 of 6

On Sun, 16 May 2010 14:48:43 +0100, stuart noble

Just checked a couple saws. One, a 6.5" runs 3700RPM for a cutting speed of 6269sfpm. Another, 7.25" @ 5000 rpm for 9490sfpm. a 5" grinder @10,000 rpm is 13090 sfpm -
On Sun, 16 May 2010 09:07:00 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

And MOST people who know enough to use the angle grinder safely would also know enough, and have the equipment available, to use the right tool for the job.
To safely act as a saw, a rotating tool should also have a "shoe", like a circular saw.
And it's not the RPM that counts, it's the surface (cutting) speed. A 5" blade needs to run a LOT faster than a 10" blade to give the same cutting speed, or to have the same danger of throwing a tip
On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:00:53 +0100, "john hamilton"

The best "circular disc" is the one on your "circular saw". It was mentioned about using the right tool for the job.
Got a sharp axe, matches maybe?
john hamilton wrote:

I see by your message headers you seem to be in the UK. Here in the states we have something called 'Harbor Freight' that sells low-end (mainly Chinese) power tools at very low prices. They aren't any good for fine woodworking, but for something like this they would be more than adequate. Search online, in your local phone book, or in the second-tier shopping centers near where you live. Odds are there is something like that over there. What you need is a reciprocating saw with a demolition blade. It is one long blade (not two, like the other post implied), that goes back and forth like a handsaw. It would make short work of your pile of salvage lumber. You are trying to salvage it, right? If this is just for burning, a plain axe will do what you need, or even a plain handsaw.
The reciprocating saw likely would have made the demolition process a lot less painful, as well. I only use mine once a year or so, but for certain jobs, it is a lifesaver.
--
aem sends...

I think there are 2 types... - Alligator saw - double blades like a hedge trimmer - Demolition saw - single blade that just pumps away
Unsure which is cheaper, but more search strings :-)
Alligator saws are more useful for general cutting. Demolition saws, well they are certainly good at that.
On 15/05/2010 23:02, js.b1 wrote:

There are a few variations:
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/recipsaw.htm

Standard recip saws are cheaper for the machine, and *much* cheaper for the blades

--
Cheers,

John.

On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:42:40 +0100, John Rumm

Checked out that page and have even more tool-envy. I've never seen a Scorpion saw in the US, either.<g> [and searches of B& D's US site don't show it]
Jim
On 16/05/2010 22:07, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Ah, well I *had* one of those. Took me ages to find someone to give it away too! ;-)
A bit like:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
They seem to be very popular, but I can't understand why! I can only assume they are bought by infrequent DIYers who have not had the chance to use a proper recip saw or a decent jigsaw.
They have a very short stroke, and fairly fine teeth so cut very slowly. They use B&D single source blades that are expensive. They vibrate excessively. The larger saw looking blade tends to set up side to side vibration so much that the end tends to hack a wide trench out of the wood rather than cutting it. It has a jigsaw mode where it behaves just like the worst jigsaw you have ever used only not as well.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:28:22 +0100, John Rumm

Only in England you say??? Pity!! (NOT)

On 17/05/2010 04:34, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Now those you can get in the US, you lucky people!
(although the blades are cheaper there - $8.50 vs about 12 ($17) here).
--
Cheers,

John.

On 18/05/2010 08:57, Lobby Dosser wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
That's what Andy D mentioned a few posts up this thread - they are very good for pruning etc. Not the same as the other DeWalt Alligator saw mentioned before... just to add to the confusion!
--
Cheers,

John.

Also looked like there might be some issues with them.

For added confusion, Black and Decker used to sell a two bladed reciprocating saw like the De Walt that was also called "Alligator". They may even have been the same saw rebranded. See e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-Black-Decker-Alligator-Saw-blades-DeWALT-DW390-/320529867339?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4aa111a24b
On 18/05/2010 19:02, Alan Braggins wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-Black-Decker-Alligator-Saw-blades-DeWALT-DW390-/320529867339?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4aa111a24b
Not too surprising since DeWalt are owned by B&D these days... (as are Elu)
--
Cheers,

John.

On 18 May 2010 19:02:29 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Alan Braggins) wrote:

Lest you forget, Dewalt IS Black and Decker.
aemeijers wrote:

What he said. I had to replace my evaporative cooler and got a reciprocating saw to cut up the old one. I looked at Harbor Freight and decided that going with a good Milwaukee Sawzall was going to be more cost effective in the long run. It doesn't cut pretty, but it is quick and effective at reducing large pieces of junk to small pieces of junk.

Rob Leatham
Mark & Juanita wrote:

How about when you are trying to cart off that old firewood pile you don't need anymore?

A wood cutting plade for an angle grinder is available. I is a disk with chainsaw teeth on it. Think it is used for carving. Definitly not what you want.
Jimmie

Sounds scary and dangerous. I would not recommend it. But there is a carving disc for the mini grinder.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001846/3014/2-Industrial-Blade-for-Mini-Grinder-Woodworking-Kit.aspx
The capacity for this thing to grab things and throw them into your body is probably infinite. The only way I would use anything like this if the material was locked down into a big, secure vise. I would also wear gloves, face protection and heavy clothing.
In some ways this is like cutting small limbs with a chain saw. The saw grabs anything that is not solidly secured and throws it. And a certain percentage of the time it hits you. And it hurts.
The number one rule of cutting anything small like this is to secure the stock before cutting it. Any movement of the stock can be dangerous.