--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
On 17/05/2010 02:15, DanG wrote:

Hardly - a quick google will show that angle grinder fatalities are not uncommon. In fact a builder died at a junior school local to me a few years ago as a result of copping a diamond blade to the neck. He bled to death on the scene in front of his son before medical help could get there.
Granted not all of these are the direct results of kickback as such - but some form of loss of control of the tool or falling onto is typically the cause.

There is good Makita safety video that quite nicely demonstrates the common lower leg injuries that occur when a grinder with diamond blade hits a typical bit of meat under clothing.

Just because something is sub optimal for cutting flesh, does not mean it won't.

Its a reciprocating saw with twin counter moving blades.
http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DW390 /

Rather than continuing the willy waving, perhaps we can agree that an angle grinder is not the tool for this job and leave it at that?

Perhaps you might care to review some of these: (Warning, some of these are graphic)
http://www.head-face-med.com/content/4/1/1 http://www.sswahs.nsw.gov.au/liverpool/trauma/45m.html http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/man-near-death-after-angle-grinder-accident/story-e6frfku0-1225820724743 http://www.citizen.co.za/index/article.aspx?pDesc 2382,1,22
--
Cheers,

John.

-snip-
Cool tool. I don't think they are available in the US. all I get when I search for Alligator saw is those chainsaw/loppers with the scissor action- http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/black-decker-electric-alligator-saw-lp1000-reviews
The downside of a reciprocating saw is their tendency to pull light material back and forth if it isn't secured.
Can you, for instance, cut a small branch off a tree and keep both hands on the saw without it shaking the bejeebers out of the tree?
Jim
On 16/05/2010 21:59, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/black-decker-electric-alligator-saw-lp1000-reviews
I have not got one, so can only go on what others have said. They seem to be more refined than the standard recip saws - and logic would suggest be better in the situation you suggest.
--
Cheers,

John.

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Downside??? You have to be willing to hold and use the tool properly. Anything less does not result in a "downside".
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

That is why they have that flexible foot on them, to press up against the work being cut. Sounds like somebody was trying to reach too far. Like any power cutting tool, you gotta plan your cut before you pull the trigger. No saw works well to cut the end off a spring hanging in mid-air. That is why those tree-pruning saws on the long poles are of such limited usefulness, other than right up by the trunk or a thick main branch.
--
aem sends...

Thick branches and right up against the trunk is the Intended use.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

I get that- trouble is, there are a lot of branches I need to trim that fall between the thumb-size the rope powered lopper will cut, and the thick ones the sawblade will get a bite on. I don't wanna take the whole side off the tree, I just want to trim away where it rubs the roof and siding, and gets into the TV antenna.
--
aem sends...

Oh. Well, I've gone through some pretty thick branches with the rope powered lopper. I sharpen it frequently and sharpened it when it was brand new. Sometimes it takes a bit of 'chewing'.

Black & Decker Alligator electric "scissor" chainsaw. Looks like a toy, but for anything up to 4" diameter it's a wonderful pruning tool. Best of all it doesn't have any real reaction force (like a normal chainsaw) so you can cut small willow branches overhead when most other saws would simply push them away, or a rope chain saw would just bend them downwards.

You need one of the double bladed "aligator" pruning saws or a small pole mounted pruning chain saw - both designed to do that job, and do it relatively well.

Any CSI fans will know that seems to be their tool of choice. Usually for cutting plasterboard to reveal the dead body behind. But never with the foot up against the board.
Strange their walls never seem to have studs...
--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Mike Marlow wrote:

Anchor the work and use the foot.
Tip: Quick-Grip clamps are crap for anchoring work you are trying to cut with a reciprocating saw. The vibration loosens the clamps and you wind up resetting them multiple times. Not that I'd know that, it happened to somebody who lives in my neighborhood.

Rob Leatham

That is what the foot is for, to stop the material being pulled forwards by the cutting stroke. You don't have to hold it tightly at all.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/man-near-death-after-angle-grinder-accident/story-e6frfku0-1225820724743
Here's one nearly done in by his digital video camera ..
John Rumm wrote:

I think that is what most of the people who really understand angle grinders have been saying.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Never mind the "graphic" bits the text is bad enough;!....
"A thorough secondary survey should be performed in the situation of a shattered disc as several anatomical sites may be affected. In particular perineal or scrotal injuries occur if the operator straddles the object being cut and can be missed [2]. Overhead use of angle grinders has been associated with fatal intracranial injury and should be avoided [5]. A number of articles have been published to warn of these specific dangers [6,7]. In order to reduce the risks of injury there are general guidelines about the use of power tools such as checking they are maintained and on the use of protective clothing [7]. Specific guidance on the use of angle grinders is shown in Table 2.
--
Tony Sayer

If you're so sure about it perhaps you would like to demonstrate for us and get your next of kin to put the video up on U-tube.
something like:

Know-all fuckwit.
stuart noble wrote:

You are correct - my error in the way I stated that. I meant to say it does not approach the speed of the cut of a circular saw.