Angie's list

Anyone used this list? It's about $50 a year for membership.
http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList /
Stormin Mormon wrote: - Anyone used this list? It's about $50 a year for membership. - - http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList /
Nice web site tour, but here's the issiue I see.
Contractors don't get on the list until a member submits a comment about them. Now let me quote something from the FAQ:
Q - Why would I use Angie's List when I can just ask my neighbors for recommendations?
A - How long would it take you to find 25 people who have all used the same contractor and then conduct an in depth interview with them about their service experience? Spend hours on the phone, or just log onto Angie's List and find trustworthy contractors with a proven track record in minutes.
OK, for this to true, I would have to assume that there are actually 25 people in my city who are not only Angie's List members, but have also used the same contractor AND submitted a review of that contractor. Somehow, I'm just not confident that there are enough members in my community to make a $57 membership worth the money. They do say "Annual membership dues are backed by our 110% money back, satisfaction guarantee" so I guess you could be disatisfied real soon after you join if you really wanted to check it out.
I've been contacted by folks using Angie's list several times. Apparently Angie's list contacts people in an area they plan to service, to set up a data base first, then solicit their product, I believe to people new to the area. I've questioned the folks that called me, about paying for the service and they all said that they were new to the area, and once they found some decent trades people, they'll give up the service

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:22:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

decided to move, and found it very helpful for finding all sorts of folks:
Home inspector, pest inspector, movers, well company, carpet cleaner, HVAC service, Tree service, auto repair and body shop.
The reports vary in quality as you would expect. Some folks just say things like "they did a good job trimming my trees". Other folks take the time to describe the exact work performed, describe the outcome, list any issues, note whether they were prompt for their appointment and returning phone calls, etc. I've found with a little common sense reading of the reports, you can get a pretty good read on a place quickly.
As to number of reports per company, that varies too. Some have just one or two, but the larger firms often have 50 or 100 or more. Most have at least a few. Angie's list ages the reports, so newer reports have a little more weight in the ranking.
I've been completely happy with the folks I've hired after relying on the list.
The way I look at it, if it saves me only 1 hour of aggravation a *year*, it's worth it.
Oh, and yes, I do take the time to enter complete reports on the folks I've used from the list.
HTH,
Paul F.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.hotmail.com you know what to leave out
Do like we do, get 3-4 people to go in on it and share it. As long as you don't call them (which you can, never understood why) they won't know the difference.
If they'd get rid of the phone service - which I think is just for the seniors who can't work the computers - they could cut their prices. $50 is a bit much for a website.
Even if you have to pay i all yourself, if you're faced with something like a home remodel it is worth it. I go in and look at the "A" rated companies that have several reports and have seldom been disappointed.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Angie-s-list-184016-.htm sarahdann wrote:
COMPLETELY disagree that Angies List is a good thing. I work for a company that does home remodeling. A third party tried to hire my employer to do work on a house that they dont own. When my employer stated that for the company to do the work they would have to have authorization in writing from the home owner the person became irate. Then the person requested that my employer deliver building materials for a $25 fee (normal delivery from the store in question is $75). In the interest of good-will my employer did that and then just out of pure spite because my employer refused to do work on a property without proper authorization this person went on Angies List completely slamming my employer. My employer NEVER knew Angies List even existed and has an A+ rating with the BBB for over 15 years. Long story short, Angies List is a way for crack-pot type people who hold grudges to pay money and then attempt to ruin others when they dont get their way.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

fourth posting of the same thing deleted ............
Could you post that four more times for those who didn't catch it?
Steve
Steve B wrote:

And passed the non-intelligence test to be able to post on homeowners hub.
Not surprising that s/he is also obsessive-compulsive. And stutters.

On 12/17/2010 5:49 PM, Steve B wrote:

I never figured out what part was new. Did she write anything at all?
Jay